Obama's Announcement of Osama bin Laden's Death Cuts Primetime
Osama bin Laden's death has set the press in frenzy for breaking news coverage. The primetime on Sunday, May 1 was interrupted when Barack Obama requested network stations to spare a minute for him to address the situation.
The U.S. President had in the past drew criticism when he took over the primetime for his national speech but this one is most likely working the opposite way. His announcement of Osama's death was broadcast by multiple news organizations including ABC, NBC and CBS. "The Celebrity Apprentice" on the East Coast was cut to carry the live broadcast and local news from "NBC News". It slightly delayed the show's West Coast broadcast as well.
Osama was killed by a small U.S. military team in a firefight in Pakistan. His body was found in a compound and is in possession of the U.S. In his speech, Obama said, "Tonight I can report to the American people and the world, the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda and a terrorist who's responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children."
"Nearly 3,000 citizens taken from us, leaving a gaping hole in our hearts ...The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al-Qaeda. His death does not mark the end of our effort."
More Barack Obama News
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?