Obama's Announcement of Osama bin Laden's Death Cuts Primetime
Osama bin Laden's death has set the press in frenzy for breaking news coverage. The primetime on Sunday, May 1 was interrupted when Barack Obama requested network stations to spare a minute for him to address the situation.
The U.S. President had in the past drew criticism when he took over the primetime for his national speech but this one is most likely working the opposite way. His announcement of Osama's death was broadcast by multiple news organizations including ABC, NBC and CBS. "The Celebrity Apprentice" on the East Coast was cut to carry the live broadcast and local news from "NBC News". It slightly delayed the show's West Coast broadcast as well.
Osama was killed by a small U.S. military team in a firefight in Pakistan. His body was found in a compound and is in possession of the U.S. In his speech, Obama said, "Tonight I can report to the American people and the world, the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda and a terrorist who's responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children."
"Nearly 3,000 citizens taken from us, leaving a gaping hole in our hearts ...The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al-Qaeda. His death does not mark the end of our effort."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!