The Rock Replaces Terrence Howard in Charley Pride Biopic
From WWE fighter to action star and then to comedy actor, The Rock is now exploring his musical ability in untitled Charley Pride biopic. The latest actor to take a role as country music singer after Jeff Bridges and Gwyneth Paltrow, The Rock is to portray country crooner Charley Pride in the movie.
The project actually goes back to 2006 when it was announced that Terrence Howard was to portray Pride with "Hustle and Flow" director Craig Brewer as producer. Then there was no longer any progress until earlier this week when Pride gave an interview to Telegraph-Journal, saying the ball has started to roll again.
"New management took over the studio that was ready to begin site work on it," Charley said. "And a decision was made to put all their resources behind thrillers - fast actioners. They felt that was where the big box office money was then." Pride lived his glory in the 60s and 70s when it was not easy for a black man to make a good living, let alone paving it on a music genre that was dominated by cowboys and rednecks.
The singer then confirmed the casting news, revealing, "Now it's back on track again but with action and comedy star Dwayne Johnson portraying me in the title role. Terrence, it seems, is tied up on other involvements for a few years."
Pride thought about Rock's casting, "Terrence is no doubt a more in-depth actor academically, but Dwayne is such a force on screen. It startled me a little at first, but he flew down to Dallas and spent a day with me just sitting, talking recently. And when he left it was like parting with an old friend. We had such similar views on so many things."
Pride did not shed the light on when the production will start or official announcement will be made.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival