It's Official: Ian Holm Returns as Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit'
Ian Holm will reprise his "Lord of the Rings" role in "The Hobbit". Although Martin Freeman has taken the lead role of Bilbo Baggins in the adventure fantasy movie, director Peter Jackson has confirmed via his Facebook account that Holm will still make an appearance in the film as the elder version of Baggins.
"One comment that came up from the recent video blog was the Bilbo voice at the end - many of you assumed it was Sir Ian Holm," the post read. "Whilst Ian will be returning as the older Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, that recording was actually Martin Freeman's voice, taken from a script read through we recorded when the cast first arrived. I have to admit, I wasn't sure who it was when I first heard it, either. Cheers, Peter J".
"The Hobbit" focuses on Bilbo Baggins who joins a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakensheild. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets Gollum, the creature that will change his life forever.
Beside Freeman and Holm, the forthcoming film also has Richard Armitage on the cast line-up to play Thorin. Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, and Andy Serkis will also reprise their "Lord of the Rings" roles as Gandalf the Grey, Frodo Baggins, Legolas, and Gollum respectively. Serkis additionally serves as second unit director in the film which is due in December 2012.
- Oscars 2017: Mahershala Ali, 'Suicide Squad' and 'Fantastic Beasts' Are First Winners
- Report: Britney Spears Is Expecting a Child With Sam Asghari
- New 'Iron Fist' Photos Show Danny Rand in Action, Actor Responds to White-Washing Controversy
- Report: Blac Chyna Is Pregnant With Rob Kardashian's Second Baby
- Future Scores Fourth No. 1 Album With 'Future' on Billboard 200
- Oscars 2017: Felicity Jones, Taraji P. Henson, Chrissy Teigen Stun on Red Carpet
- Selena Gomez Sweetly Calls The Weeknd 'Baby' on Instagram
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24