It's Official: Ian Holm Returns as Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit'
Ian Holm will reprise his "Lord of the Rings" role in "The Hobbit". Although Martin Freeman has taken the lead role of Bilbo Baggins in the adventure fantasy movie, director Peter Jackson has confirmed via his Facebook account that Holm will still make an appearance in the film as the elder version of Baggins.
"One comment that came up from the recent video blog was the Bilbo voice at the end - many of you assumed it was Sir Ian Holm," the post read. "Whilst Ian will be returning as the older Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, that recording was actually Martin Freeman's voice, taken from a script read through we recorded when the cast first arrived. I have to admit, I wasn't sure who it was when I first heard it, either. Cheers, Peter J".
"The Hobbit" focuses on Bilbo Baggins who joins a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakensheild. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets Gollum, the creature that will change his life forever.
Beside Freeman and Holm, the forthcoming film also has Richard Armitage on the cast line-up to play Thorin. Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, and Andy Serkis will also reprise their "Lord of the Rings" roles as Gandalf the Grey, Frodo Baggins, Legolas, and Gollum respectively. Serkis additionally serves as second unit director in the film which is due in December 2012.
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift