Artist of the Week: Rebecca Black
A little over two months ago, people do not recognize the name Rebecca Black, but now some shudder upon hearing it while some are simply delighted. A 13-year-old teenager from California, Black acquired fame through none other than YouTube. Her single "Friday" and its independently-produced video were subject to criticisms for the song's inane lyrics.
But the numbers proved otherwise. The video recently logged 100 million YouTube views, faster than Justin Bieber's "Baby" hitting the mark. It took Black only 63 days to hit the number while Bieber took 67 days to get there. In addition, Billboard.com said last month that Black earns about $27,000 a week for selling "Friday" on iTunes where her single is ranked at number 45 as best-selling single.
Trying to stay in the lane, Black said that the money from her new-found fame would partly be donated to Japan earthquake relief causes. She is also juggling normal teenage life and life as an artist on the verge of releasing her first album. She has recorded several songs for an EP release under her new home at Flying Pig Productions.
Best of all, Black's "Friday" will make it to "Glee", sung by the boys such as Artie, Sam and Puck. Until the episode premieres and catapult her name higher, Black is prepared for the worst. "You never know how long this will last. The music industry is unpredictable," she said. "Who knows when I will become yesterday's news? So I want to continue with my education and have a backup plan."
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent