Artist of the Week: Rebecca Black
A little over two months ago, people do not recognize the name Rebecca Black, but now some shudder upon hearing it while some are simply delighted. A 13-year-old teenager from California, Black acquired fame through none other than YouTube. Her single "Friday" and its independently-produced video were subject to criticisms for the song's inane lyrics.
But the numbers proved otherwise. The video recently logged 100 million YouTube views, faster than Justin Bieber's "Baby" hitting the mark. It took Black only 63 days to hit the number while Bieber took 67 days to get there. In addition, Billboard.com said last month that Black earns about $27,000 a week for selling "Friday" on iTunes where her single is ranked at number 45 as best-selling single.
Trying to stay in the lane, Black said that the money from her new-found fame would partly be donated to Japan earthquake relief causes. She is also juggling normal teenage life and life as an artist on the verge of releasing her first album. She has recorded several songs for an EP release under her new home at Flying Pig Productions.
Best of all, Black's "Friday" will make it to "Glee", sung by the boys such as Artie, Sam and Puck. Until the episode premieres and catapult her name higher, Black is prepared for the worst. "You never know how long this will last. The music industry is unpredictable," she said. "Who knows when I will become yesterday's news? So I want to continue with my education and have a backup plan."
- Officially Back On? Kylie Jenner Tags Tyga on Her Booty In This Instagram Photo
- Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Separate After 11 Years of Marriage
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?