Director: 'Hangover 2' Monkey NOT Addicted to Cigarettes
There was a wrath from animal lovers when "The Hangover Part II" director Todd Phillips said the monkey in the comedy film is addicted to cigarettes. Phillips has followed up his statement, saying in an e-mail to Movie Line, "This was a joke. I make comedies."
Phillips' joke was quoted from an interview with Total Film Magazine. "I wanted the monkey to smoke so we had to train her to. She was just shooting Cameron Crowe's movie 'We Bought a Zoo'. And the monkey won't stop smoking," he said, adding later, "Now I have PETA after me because the monkey's become addicted to cigarettes."
In further defense of his then statement, Phillips said, "When you are doing press for a film, it tends to get repetitive, lots of the same questions over and over. Sometimes I like to mix it up with the journalists. Obviously, the monkey in the film NEVER smoked a single cigarette. Even if I wanted her to smoke it wouldn't be allowed."
Then, in an attempt to put everything on an open table, Phillips warned viewers that there will also be a scene in the movie where the primate is doing cocaine. "By the way, she also appears to do cocaine in the movie, but I guarantee you that she didn't do that either," Phillips said.
The sequel to "The Hangover" will be released in the U.S. on Memorial Day weekend, May 26. The gang are in Bangkok to celebrate Stu's wedding but they once again wake up without knowledge of what kind of wild night happen the night before. The monkey is featured prominently in the trailers and posters.
- Tiny Harris Fake Facebook Stirs Up Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Affair Rumor
- Michael Bay Has Initial Idea for an R-Rated 'Bumblebee' Spin-Off
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Gets Animated in Bizarre Video for 'Sick Love'
- Mariah Carey's New Boyfriend Bryan Tanaka Admits He's 'Always Had a Thing' for Her
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Promises 'Refreshing' 'Celebrity Apprentice' in New Sneak Peek
- 'Last Tango in Paris' Rape Scene Backlash Is 'Ridiculous,' Says Bernardo Bertolucci
- Jimmy Kimmel's Wife Molly McNearney Is Pregnant With Their Second Child
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4