'Deathly Hallows: Part II' in Danger of Not Being Screened
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" is in danger of not being released in the big screen. NATO (National Association of Theater Owners) is threatening to boycott screening this summer's blockbuster movie, alongside some other films, in response to the announced Video-On-Demand plans.
Four major film studios, Universal, Sony, Warner Bros and Fox, have announced the plans which permit new releases to hit living rooms within weeks after coming out in theaters. Learning that the plan will apparently decrease their revenue, NATO, which represents U.S. cinema owners including Regal Entertainment and AMC, is fuming.
"Let's say you're Regal Cinemas and it's a busy weekend with a couple of big pictures opening," NATO Chief Executive John Fithian stated to Financial Times. "If it's 50-50 between this picture and that picture and you have a partner that respects your [business] model and another one that doesn't, you're going to give the screen to the partner that respects your model."
The VOD plans were announced after the film studios claimed that the four-month wait between a film's release into theaters and its release to Blu-Ray version is too long. The period is seen declining the DVD sales, although it helps defeat film piracy.
However, The Guardian reported that not all studios agree with the VOD plans. Paramount Pictures has reportedly expressed opposition to the plan, despite the fact that the studio concerned over internet piracy.
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" is directed by David Yates, with Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, and Ralph Fiennes reprising their roles. Kelly Macdonald is recently added to the cast ensemble to portray Helena Ravenclaw. The movie is slated to come out in U.S. theaters on July 15.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie