David Cook Confirms New Single Debut on 'American Idol'
David Cook gets ready to give his fans the first taste of his upcoming second studio album. The 2008 winner of "American Idol" is set to debut the new single called "The Last Goodbye" next week when he returns to stage of the singing competition on April 21.
"I'm certainly looking forward to meeting the new contestants, and also really excited to meet the new judges," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "From what I've seen so far, Steven Tyler is a riot, and I think J.Lo's been incredible. And I'm excited to see Randy, Ryan and everybody behind the scenes."
It's been three years since David dropped his first post-"Idol" album which is a self-titled one. "Yeah, it's been a very long labor of love... But I think it's how long this record needed to take. Lyrically, musically, emotionally, this record is open. There's some fresh wound moments, for sure," he stated.
The album hasn't got a working title and release date. It has producer Matt Serletic (Rob Thomas, Matchbox 20, Collective Soul), and songwriter OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder helping Cook shape it up. Two new songs, "Goodbye to the Girl" and "Paper Heart", were previously previewed in an album teaser.
"Goodbye to the Girl" was co-written by David along with Neal Tiemann and Andy Skib. "It's a song that has a really cool mood and was just the right puzzle piece to the record. We basically sat in the studio at my house and worked on it. I think I was in my pajamas when we wrote it," he gushed.
Beside working on the new album, David Cook has also hit studio to cover Simple Minds' 1985 smash hit "Don't You (Forget About Me)". It serves as 2011 farewell song for "Idol" and has been offered as a free download for those who pre-order his forthcoming album beginning March 3.
He stated, "It was a lot of fun to record. We got Kenny Aronoff on drums and Neal came in and helped cut some of the guitars. With Matt Squire's help -- he was on board as a producer -- we went in, had fun with it and tried not to worry about the inevitable pressure associated with that song. It was a huge honor."
- Ryan Reynolds Finally Reveals Why He Looked So Uninterested in That Taylor Swift Photo
- 'Transformers' Star Isabela Moner Lands Key Role in 'Sicario' Sequel 'Soldado'
- HBO and J.J. Abrams Teaming Up for Space Drama 'Glare'
- James Franco's Surprise Role in 'Alien: Covenant' Unveiled
- Angelina Jolie Seen in Public for the First Time Since Brad Pitt Divorce Sans Wedding Ring
- Listen to a Sneak Peek of Louis Tomlinson's Debut Solo Song 'Just Hold On' Featuring Steve Aoki
- They Mean It! Kardashians Not Backing Down Against Blac Chyna Trademarking Her Name
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Sequel Gets Release Date. Mark Your Calendar!