David Cook Confirms New Single Debut on 'American Idol'
David Cook gets ready to give his fans the first taste of his upcoming second studio album. The 2008 winner of "American Idol" is set to debut the new single called "The Last Goodbye" next week when he returns to stage of the singing competition on April 21.
"I'm certainly looking forward to meeting the new contestants, and also really excited to meet the new judges," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "From what I've seen so far, Steven Tyler is a riot, and I think J.Lo's been incredible. And I'm excited to see Randy, Ryan and everybody behind the scenes."
It's been three years since David dropped his first post-"Idol" album which is a self-titled one. "Yeah, it's been a very long labor of love... But I think it's how long this record needed to take. Lyrically, musically, emotionally, this record is open. There's some fresh wound moments, for sure," he stated.
The album hasn't got a working title and release date. It has producer Matt Serletic (Rob Thomas, Matchbox 20, Collective Soul), and songwriter OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder helping Cook shape it up. Two new songs, "Goodbye to the Girl" and "Paper Heart", were previously previewed in an album teaser.
"Goodbye to the Girl" was co-written by David along with Neal Tiemann and Andy Skib. "It's a song that has a really cool mood and was just the right puzzle piece to the record. We basically sat in the studio at my house and worked on it. I think I was in my pajamas when we wrote it," he gushed.
Beside working on the new album, David Cook has also hit studio to cover Simple Minds' 1985 smash hit "Don't You (Forget About Me)". It serves as 2011 farewell song for "Idol" and has been offered as a free download for those who pre-order his forthcoming album beginning March 3.
He stated, "It was a lot of fun to record. We got Kenny Aronoff on drums and Neal came in and helped cut some of the guitars. With Matt Squire's help -- he was on board as a producer -- we went in, had fun with it and tried not to worry about the inevitable pressure associated with that song. It was a huge honor."
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March