Catherine Zeta-Jones Briefly Stayed at Mental Hospital for Bipolar Disorder
Catherine Zeta-Jones has briefly sought treatment for her bipolar disorder. Representative for the Oscar winner confirmed the shocking news on Wednesday, April 13, revealing that the actress made the decision after dealing with the stress perpetuated by husband Michael Douglas' battle with throat cancer.
"After dealing with the stress of the past year, Catherine made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her Bipolar II disorder," explained the 41-year-old beauty's rep in a statement. "She's feeling great and looking forward to starting work this week on her two upcoming films."
People Magazine reported that Catherine spent about five days at the facility, but didn't offer details on when and where her treatment took place. National Enquirer, in the meantime, claimed that the "Chicago" actress checked herself into the Silver Hill Hospital in Connecticut last Wednesday, April 6 at $1,250 per day.
Bipolar disorder is a mental illness marked by sharp mood swings and erratic behavior, while bipolar II, which can be treated with medication or therapy, is a milder form of the disorder. It is marked by less manic "up" moods but the mood swings spread over a longer time. The episodes can be triggered by major stress or life changes.
About the stress Catherine dealt with the past year, a friend told People mag, "There's no question it's been a stressful year." The pal added, "Catherine has had deal with Michael's illness and that's been hard. She went in for a few days because she's about to start working, and wanted to make sure she's in top form, which she is."
Catherine's husband Michael has been diagnosed with a stage 4 throat cancer last year. In January this year, he announced that he was declared free of cancer after undergoing six-month of chemotherapy and radiation. About the actor's battle with cancer, Catherine previously shared to People, "The hardest part is seeing his fatigue, because Michael is never tired."
- Britney Spears Undergoing Surgery to 'Tweak' Her Nipples and Areolas?
- Pussy Riot Dedicates 'Straight Outta Vagina' Video to Donald Trump
- See Photos of 'Pretty Little Liars' Stars on Last Day of Filming Series Finale
- 'Toy Story 4' Release Date Delayed Again, 'The Incredibles 2' Moved Up
- Tom Cruise Secretly Romancing a British Woman and He's 'Serious' About It
- Kim Kardashian Concierge Says Robbers Didn't Want Her Jewelry. What Were They After, Then?
- Prince's Rep Addresses Jay-Z's Rumored $40 Million Offer for His Unreleased Music
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunner Bryan Fuller Departs the TV Series