'Avatar' Director James Cameron Campaigning for 3D TV
James Cameron is paving the path for 3D television to dominate the small screen within five years. The director, who set a worldwide box office record at $2.7 billion through his 3D film "Avatar", has predicted that the technology would be used in a lot of television programing, be it "sports, episodic drama, scripted and unscripted".
During a conference of National Association of Broadcasters in Las Vegas, Cameron and his "Avatar" cameraman Vince Pace announced a new venture which goal is to spread the use of 3D as a creative and powerful storytelling and live broadcast medium. "We haven't seen anything yet that doesn't have a great degree of value added by being in 3D," Cameron told Reuters.
Indeed electronic juggernauts Sony and Mitsubishi have been racing to promote the sale of 3D TV which has risen about 8 percent since September last year. Although there are obstacles such as cost and the need to wear 3D glasses, Cameron believes 3D TV would mirror the way 3D movies grew. Theater operators and filmmakers doubted 3D six years ago, but more films are coming in the technology nowadays.
"We overcame that hurdle because we were getting constant positive feedback from the audience, and we are seeing the same thing in the broadcast model. Everything has been moving at two or three times the pace than we would have predicted a few years ago," Cameron said.
In a bid to lower the cost, the duo's Cameron-Pace Group plans to develop a new generation of camera systems, services and creative tools. Instead of making separate and expensive 2D and 3D versions of the same film or show, filmmakers will be taught how to shoot the programs in 3D and extract a 2D feed.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'