'Avatar' Director James Cameron Campaigning for 3D TV
James Cameron is paving the path for 3D television to dominate the small screen within five years. The director, who set a worldwide box office record at $2.7 billion through his 3D film "Avatar", has predicted that the technology would be used in a lot of television programing, be it "sports, episodic drama, scripted and unscripted".
During a conference of National Association of Broadcasters in Las Vegas, Cameron and his "Avatar" cameraman Vince Pace announced a new venture which goal is to spread the use of 3D as a creative and powerful storytelling and live broadcast medium. "We haven't seen anything yet that doesn't have a great degree of value added by being in 3D," Cameron told Reuters.
Indeed electronic juggernauts Sony and Mitsubishi have been racing to promote the sale of 3D TV which has risen about 8 percent since September last year. Although there are obstacles such as cost and the need to wear 3D glasses, Cameron believes 3D TV would mirror the way 3D movies grew. Theater operators and filmmakers doubted 3D six years ago, but more films are coming in the technology nowadays.
"We overcame that hurdle because we were getting constant positive feedback from the audience, and we are seeing the same thing in the broadcast model. Everything has been moving at two or three times the pace than we would have predicted a few years ago," Cameron said.
In a bid to lower the cost, the duo's Cameron-Pace Group plans to develop a new generation of camera systems, services and creative tools. Instead of making separate and expensive 2D and 3D versions of the same film or show, filmmakers will be taught how to shoot the programs in 3D and extract a 2D feed.
- Chris Brown Accuser Told Her Friend Singer's 'About to Go Down' After Alleged Gun Incident
- 'Game of Thrones' Casts First New Addition for Season 7
- P. Diddy Teases Snippet of Cassie's New Single 'Make Up'
- 'Rogue One': Meet C2-B5, New Imperial Droid That Looks Like R2-D2
- Johnny Depp Reconnects With Kate Moss Following Amber Heard Divorce
- Kylie Jenner Surprises Tyga With $300,000 Bentley After His Ferrari Got 'Repossessed'
- Lady GaGa Teases 'Perfect Illusion' Music Video
- Rob Kardashian Reveals He Is Now Diabetes Free