Producer Edited Out Bible in 'Soul Surfer' at First
By now, theatergoers probably have watched a scene in "Soul Surfer" where Dennis Quaid's Tom Hamilton reads the Holy Bible next to his bed-ridden child, AnnaSophia Robb's Bethany. The particular scene was not what the producers intended to display in raw at the first place.
Tom, whose real-life story is brought on screen in the April 8-released film, said the words "Holy Bible" were digitally removed from the book cover when he was shown the early version of the movie. David Zelon who is an executive at Mandalay Pictures wanted to tone down the Christianity of the film in order to make it appeal to non-Christian audience.
A devoted Catholic, Tom refused to have the words edited out. In the next screening, Tom and his family were pleased with the final version. "I could see the words bright and clear," he said as quoted by THR. "I looked at my wife and whispered, 'Thank you God, they put it back'."
David made no comment on the outcome but Sony which produces the drama said in a statement, "This movie has a strong spiritual core, much like 'The Blind Side', and while one of the versions tested did have the scene in question, it was never unclear that the book was the Bible."
Indeed, "Blind Side" which is starring Sandra Bullock as a Christian, showed to the world how a religious movie can rake in huge number. In the domestic box office alone, "Blind Side" pulled in $256 million. This is also the case of "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" where the pop star said in an interview that he prays twice daily and reads Bible every now and then. Paramount earned $30 million in the opening weekend.
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris