Rutgers Parents Voice Protests Over Snooki's $32K Payday
Parents of students attending Rutgers University have waded in the Snooki controversy. Although the school have defended their decision of spending $32,000 to hire the "Jersey Shore" star as guest speaker, many parents were fuming that she got paid nearly $10,000 more than they pay annually to send one kid to the Garden State university.
43-year-old Nester Delgado, whose daughter is a freshman, told the New York Post, "It's disgusting." He added, as referring to Snooki's co-stars, "Next year, is it going to be JWoww or The Situation?" 47-year-old Christine Getz also spoke in protest, "I don't think she's a good representation of a role model for my kids."
Snooki came to Rutgers University last Thursday night, March 31, sharing her story to stardom and her wisdom with around 2,000 students. Among her piece of advices, she said, "When you're tan, you feel better about yourself", and "Study hard, but party harder". She was paid $2,000 more than Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison, who will speak at graduation on May 15.
Rutgers has defended its decision on spending the large amount of money on Snooki. In a released statement, spokesman Steve Manas, "We have more than 200 events on our campus during the course of the year, everything from scholarly presentations to entertainment. The students canvassed for who they wanted here and had the funds available."
Some of the students, however, were against the decision. 20-year-old student Hina Rehman told The Associated Press, "It's fine the money used here is meant for entertainment purposes, but I think we can get better entertainment than that." FOX News reported another student tweeted, "My tuition dollars wasted on Snooki. Rutgers probably could have paid her with a case of beer."
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier