Rebecca Black Sues Ark Music Factory Over 'Friday' Copyright
The complication that follows the success of Rebecca Black's "Friday" was heading on Ark Music Factory's way. The small recording company is sued by Black and her mother Marquez Kelly of not giving them the master copy and the video rights to the single which has reached number 38 on Billboard's digital chart.
In their lawsuit, Black and Kelly accused the label of copyright infringement and unlawful exploitation of publicity rights, Rolling Stone reported. Ark allegedly has been "exploiting her likeness and her song on YouTube, iTunes, Amazon and Ark's website" in addition to creating an unauthorized "Friday" ringtone and advertising Black as an exclusive Ark recording artist on its website.
Kelly said she has the right to "Friday" and its music video because she paid $4,000 for it and signed a letter of agreement in November 2010. This was disputed by Ark's lawyer Barry Rothman who said, "The agreement was not court-approved. They say they own the composition. Nothing could be further from the truth. If they go forward and license it or attempt to copyright it in their name, that would be copyright infringement and we'd act accordingly under the circumstances."
In response to the lawsuit, Ark's founder Patrice Wilson denied that there is feud whatsoever. "I have met with Rebecca Black's mom and everything is fine," he said. "She will get the masters and the song. They can have it all." Regarding the "exclusive artist" allegation, Wilson commented, "Once an artist meets with us and once they blow up, they have a choice to retain us or move on if they can. Rebecca is now signed with someone else." Indeed Black is now a client of L.A.-based DB Entertainment Group.
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift