Rebecca Black Sues Ark Music Factory Over 'Friday' Copyright
The complication that follows the success of Rebecca Black's "Friday" was heading on Ark Music Factory's way. The small recording company is sued by Black and her mother Marquez Kelly of not giving them the master copy and the video rights to the single which has reached number 38 on Billboard's digital chart.
In their lawsuit, Black and Kelly accused the label of copyright infringement and unlawful exploitation of publicity rights, Rolling Stone reported. Ark allegedly has been "exploiting her likeness and her song on YouTube, iTunes, Amazon and Ark's website" in addition to creating an unauthorized "Friday" ringtone and advertising Black as an exclusive Ark recording artist on its website.
Kelly said she has the right to "Friday" and its music video because she paid $4,000 for it and signed a letter of agreement in November 2010. This was disputed by Ark's lawyer Barry Rothman who said, "The agreement was not court-approved. They say they own the composition. Nothing could be further from the truth. If they go forward and license it or attempt to copyright it in their name, that would be copyright infringement and we'd act accordingly under the circumstances."
In response to the lawsuit, Ark's founder Patrice Wilson denied that there is feud whatsoever. "I have met with Rebecca Black's mom and everything is fine," he said. "She will get the masters and the song. They can have it all." Regarding the "exclusive artist" allegation, Wilson commented, "Once an artist meets with us and once they blow up, they have a choice to retain us or move on if they can. Rebecca is now signed with someone else." Indeed Black is now a client of L.A.-based DB Entertainment Group.
- Scott Eastwood Is in Talks to Star in 'Pacific Rim 2'
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why
- Drake Says His Heart's Broken by Rihanna as They Spark New Dating Rumor in London
- First Look at Matthew McConaughey as Man in Black on 'The Dark Tower' Set
- Fergie Debuts 'M.I.L.F. $'. Listen to the Empowering New Track!
- Nicki Minaj Goes Braless and Flashes Ample Boob in This Photo