Rebecca Black Sues Ark Music Factory Over 'Friday' Copyright
The complication that follows the success of Rebecca Black's "Friday" was heading on Ark Music Factory's way. The small recording company is sued by Black and her mother Marquez Kelly of not giving them the master copy and the video rights to the single which has reached number 38 on Billboard's digital chart.
In their lawsuit, Black and Kelly accused the label of copyright infringement and unlawful exploitation of publicity rights, Rolling Stone reported. Ark allegedly has been "exploiting her likeness and her song on YouTube, iTunes, Amazon and Ark's website" in addition to creating an unauthorized "Friday" ringtone and advertising Black as an exclusive Ark recording artist on its website.
Kelly said she has the right to "Friday" and its music video because she paid $4,000 for it and signed a letter of agreement in November 2010. This was disputed by Ark's lawyer Barry Rothman who said, "The agreement was not court-approved. They say they own the composition. Nothing could be further from the truth. If they go forward and license it or attempt to copyright it in their name, that would be copyright infringement and we'd act accordingly under the circumstances."
In response to the lawsuit, Ark's founder Patrice Wilson denied that there is feud whatsoever. "I have met with Rebecca Black's mom and everything is fine," he said. "She will get the masters and the song. They can have it all." Regarding the "exclusive artist" allegation, Wilson commented, "Once an artist meets with us and once they blow up, they have a choice to retain us or move on if they can. Rebecca is now signed with someone else." Indeed Black is now a client of L.A.-based DB Entertainment Group.
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?
- 'World War Z 2' Will Likely Reunite David Fincher and Brad Pitt
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung