'Idol' James Durbin Responds to Michael Jackson's Family's Accusation
"American Idol" contestant James Durbin was in hot water after making a remark that offended Michael Jackson's family. The father of one's stage act on Wednesday, March 30 included a fire-lit piano. He told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment'."
Pepsi moment refers to the 1984 incident when Michael's hair was caught on fire while filming the brand's commercial. He sustained injury to his scalp which later led to his addiction to prescription drugs.
Unhappy with the insensitive remark, Jackson family sent a rep to state on TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death." The rep also said that Joe Jackson was particularly upset that producers of the show failed to cut out the part for West Coast broadcast.
In an effort to clear his name, James tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." He added later, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people." James escaped the elimination on Thursday night. He is in the Top 9 which is now dominated by the guys with the exit of Thia Megia and Naima Adedapo.
More Michael Jackson News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival