Creator Says 'Mad Men' Will End in Season 7
"Mad Men" will likely not last longer than seven seasons. After some tough negotiations, Matthew Weiner has finally signed a new 3-year deal with AMC/Lionsgate to work on the drama series, and he hints it will also be the end of the show.
"These will be the last 3 seasons", Weiner tells Deadline. "I'm going to take it one year at a time without the distraction to ever have to go through this again."
"I want to thank all of our wonderful fans for their support," Weiner additionally says in a statement about the new deal. "I also want to thank AMC and Lionsgate for agreeing to support the artistic freedom of myself, the cast and the crew so that we can continue to make the show exactly as we have from the beginning. I'm excited to get started on the next chapter of our story."
Although Weiner's new deal ties him to the show for three seasons, the cast have not signed yet for a seventh season so the show is only officially renewed for season five and six for this time being. However, Weiner has ensured the seventh season will indeed happen.
It was previously reported that Weiner could not agree with AMC over the network's plan to cut 2 minutes from each episode's running time in favor of more commercials and to eliminate two regular cast members to save money.
Later, the network announced that "Mad Men" will indeed return for season five although it would only arrive in March 2012 instead of July as planned before.
- Harry Styles Stops His Concert to Pay Tribute to Victims of Manchester Bombing
- Jack Kesy Rumored to Play Tom Cassidy in 'Deadpool 2'
- The Great War Is Coming in First Trailer for 'Game of Thrones' Season 7
- First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern, Captain Phasma Unmasked in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts