Elizabeth Taylor Late to Her Own Funeral
Elizabeth Taylor was late to her own funeral, it has been uncovered. The two-time Academy Award winner was laid to rest at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California on Thursday, March 24, but the private Jewish ceremony got delayed for about 15 minutes after the announced start time at her request.
In a statement, publicist Sally Morrison confirmed that the Hollywood icon, whose casket was draped with gardenias, violets, and lily of the valley for the service, has left instructions in which she requested that her funeral started late. "She even wanted to be late for her own funeral," so the representative announced.
Attended by family and friends, Liz's funeral service lasted for around one hour and was conducted by Rabbi Jerry Cutler. It began with a recitation of Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem "The Leaden Echo and the Golden Echo" by actor Colin Farrell and family members. During the service, her grandson Rhys Tivey also performed a trumpet solo of "Amazing Grace".
The Westboro Baptist Church had earlier threatened to picket the funeral, but appeared to be caught off guard by the speed of the service. Still, Glendale Police Department was asked to assist with the security in anticipation of the protesters and in consideration of the close proximity of an elementary school.
In honor of Tony nominee Liz, Broadway's theater marquees will be dimmed for one minute at exactly 8 P.M. on Friday, March 25. Chairman of The Broadway League and Executive Vice President of Jujamcyn Theaters Paul Libin said, "With her remarkable talent and extraordinary beauty, Elizabeth Taylor lit up the Broadway stage the same way she lit up the silver screen."
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Tom Hanks, Piers Morgan, Donald Trump and More Mourn the Death of Space Legend John Glenn