Rejecting Plea Deal, Lindsay Lohan to Stand Trial
Lindsay Lohan has chosen to go to trial on her felony grand theft case. The troubled actress, who was accused of stealing a $2,500 necklace in January, insisted she is not guilty and has, on Wednesday, March 23, rejected the plea deal that included jail time. Los Angeles prosecutors confirmed to People Magazine, and her attorney Shawn Holley has since released a statement to the press.
"Ms. Lohan has maintained her innocence from the moment this case was filed and she has never wavered," Shawn explained. "Though many advised her to follow the safe route by taking 'the deal,' the truth is, Ms. Lohan is innocent; she has a strong defense; and we are confident that a jury will listen to the evidence fairly and acquit her."
Lindsay is now required to appear in court on April 22 for a preliminary hearing. During the hearing, a new judge will determine if there is enough evidence for a trial. If convicted of grand theft, she faces a maximum of three years in prison. She also could face jail time if a judge decides she violated her probation stemming from her 2007 DUI case.
More Lindsay Lohan News
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group