Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy on 'Akira' Shortlist
Warner Bros. Pictures eyes a number of A-list stars to join "Akira". Deadline learns that Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy are the candidates to play the antagonist character, Tetsuo. Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pine, Justin Timberlake and Joaquin Phoenix are said being considered for the role of Shotaro Kaneda.
The studio reportedly is focusing on the list after Steve Kloves writes a new script that has impressed director Albert Hughes and the studio execs. The movie will reportedly be set in the rebuilt New Manhattan rather than in Tokyo as in the original story of Katsuhiro Otomo's graphic novel.
Tetsuo and Kaneda are two best friends before Tetsuo is unhinged by his destructive telepathic abilities. As the only person who can hurt Tetsuo, Kaneda, the young leader of a motorcycle gang called The Capsules, has to lead the charge against Tetsuo.
"Akira" is projected to start production in August. Andrew Lazar, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran team up to produce the movie, which has been one of Warner Bros' high priority projects, so Deadline says.
- VIXX's Ken Gets Blasted for Writing Curse Words in Official Video
- Ready to Settle Down? Taylor Lautner and Billie Lourd Already 'Talking Marriage'
- Inside Blake Shelton's Romantic Summer Tryst With Gwen Stefani
- Gal Gadot Nearly Quitted Acting Before Landing Wonder Woman Role
- Jamie Foxx and Katie Holmes Board Private Jet Together in Paris Despite Boldly Denying Romance
- Kylie Jenner Tells Bella Thorne to be Careful of 'Charming Player' Scott Disick
- 'Survivor: Game Changers': [Spoiler] Is Crowned the Winner of Season 34
- Is Gwen Stefani Pregnant With Blake Shelton's Child?