Rebecca Black Feels She's Being 'Cyberbullied'
Rebecca Black has finally spoken out about the backlash over her first single "Friday". In her first interview since becoming the newest Internet sensation, the 13-year-old aspiring singer confessed to The Daily Beast, "Those hurtful comments really shocked me. At times, it feels like I'm being cyberbullied."
Setting the record straight, the Orange County, California, eighth grader also stressed that she "didn't write it at all". She then explained why she chose to record it in the first place, "The other song was about adult love - I haven't experienced that yet. 'Friday' is about hanging out with friends, having fun. I felt like it was my personality in that song."
Although she has been given the option to take down the song's music video by Ark Music after it garnered negative comments, Rebecca refused to do so, saying "I decided not to give the haters the satisfaction that they got me so bad I gave up." She now plans to record an acoustic version of "Friday". Of the move, she said, "I want to show people there's more to me than they think."
Speaking in Rebecca's defense was Ark Music boss Clarence Jey, who co-wrote and produced "Friday". In an e-mail, he wrote, "Funniest part of the whole thing is Rebecca Black is actually [an] amazing singer [with] a unique tone and a fantastic fun person. The concept we feel seems to have crossed a lot of boundaries, for the better or worse."
Rebecca's "Friday" was slammed by many music critics mostly because of its lyrics. "Yesterday was Thursday/ Today it is Friday/ Tomorrow is Saturday/ And Sunday comes afterward," some of lyrics read. "Kickin' in the front seat/ Sittin' in the back seat/ Gotta make my mind up/ Which seat can I take?" Despite the bad reviews, the song has made it to iTunes Top 100 singles chart.
- Ron Howard Officially Announced to Direct Han Solo Movie
- 'Bachelor' Alum Leah Block Apologizes for Racist 'Bachelorette' Tweet
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later' Gets Star-Studded First Trailer
- 'Jurassic World' Sequel Reveals Official Title and First Poster
- Harry Styles Mourning the Loss of His Stepfather
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna