Katy Perry, Justin Bieber and Britney Spears NOT Booked for Japan Charity Single
It's been almost a week since Japan was rocked with earthquake and tsunami, and efforts to raise money for relief effort have already been started by some celebrities like Lady GaGa. Most recently, Simon Cowell was reported to follow her footsteps by planning to record an all-star charity single to help the country, but it turns out to be hoax.
The rumor started after a fake Simon Twitter page announced, "Ok, For What Has Happened In #Japan I Will Be Getting Loads Of Singers To Do A Song For It." Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Jessie J, Britney Spears, and some of "The X Factor" (UK) alums like Cher Lloyd, JLS, Olly Murs and One Direction were tagged.
This hoax project comes on the heels of criticisms which recently arose questioning the lack of Hollywood's involvement in raising fund for Japan. "Where's Julia Roberts? Where's George Clooney? Where's Jamie Foxx? Where is Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt?" a Hollywood honcho said to Chicago Sun-Times.
Another critics pointed out why these stars must give back to Japan aside from the humanity reason, "So many of those actors have made huge amounts of money in Japan - both from their films and TV commercials and print ad campaigns - I'm surprised we haven't heard about a huge telethon being organized."
Lady GaGa has recently raised 250,000 dollars by selling self-designed 'We Pray for Japan' wristbands. Linkin Park's star Mike Shinoda contributes to the charity by designing some T-shirts, and Blink-182's singer Mark Hoppus is selling rare band memorabilia for the cause. Also, Sandra Bullock and Demi Lovato have donated a huge amount of cash to benefit the effort.
Still, "the efforts so far haven't matched the celebrity outpouring that followed the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the 2004 tsunami in Thailand and South Asia, the Haiti earthquake or the Darfur tragedy," the Chicago Sun-Times stated.
More Katy Perry News
- Nashville Crowd Helps Kanye West Diss Taylor Swift
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian Is Expecting Baby No. 4 With Scott Disick