BP Oil Rig Tragedy to Be Made a Movie
Summit Entertainment and Participant Media are bringing BP oil rig disaster in the Gulf of Mexico to big screen. The two companies announced on March 8 that they have acquired the feature film rights to The New York Times article titled "Deepwater Horizon's Final Hour" which was written by David Barstow, David Rohde and Stephanie Saul.
The film will "depict the courage of those who worked on the oil rig and the final minutes leading up to the disaster that ultimately led to great devastation that will forever be remembered," the statement said. Summit's President of Production, Erik Feig, stated, "This film will portray the great heroism that took place last year on the Deepwater Horizon rig and how colleagues so courageously came to each other's aide."
Feig added that the film is expected to evoke the same "emotion these brave men experienced and endured throughout the tragedy" for the movie's audience. Meanwhile, Ricky Strauss, President of Participant Media, claimed, "This is a perfect fit for us - a suspenseful and inspiring real-life account of everyday people whose values are tested in the face of an impending environmental disaster."
Summit and Participant are developing the movie in association with Imagenation Abu Dhabi. The announcement also said that Summit is negotiating with Lorenzo Di Bonaventura ("Red", "Salt", "Transformers") to produce the project via his Di Bonaventura Pictures banner. Matthew Sand ("American by Blood", "The Summoner", "The Red Star") is additionally tapped to pen the screenplay.
BP Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded in April 2010. Deemed the largest accidental oil spill in history, the explosion killed 11 workers, injured 17 others and resulted in abundant quantities of crude oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico.
More Deepwater Horizon News
- The Weeknd Shares Snippet of His Cashmere Cat Collaboration 'Wild Love'
- Britney Spears Biopic Coming on Lifetime. Find Out Who Plays the Pop Star
- Get New Details of Kristen Stewart and Alicia Cargile's Upcoming Nuptials
- Britney Spears on Performing at 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show: 'I Would' Do That Again!
- Amanda Bynes Returns to Twitter, Updates Fans About Her School Life
- Courteney Cox Regrets Having Plastic Surgery
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!