Ex-Alice In Chains Bassist Mike Starr Found Dead, No Foul Play Indication
Mike Starr, the former bassist for Alice in Chains, has passed away at the age of 44. A spokesman for the Salt Lake City Police Department said that police found the rocker's dead body in a Salt Lake City home on Tuesday afternoon, March 8, after they were called to the house at around 1:42 P.M.
While the cause of Mike's death is still unknown, the spokesman has stated, "There is nothing to indicate that this was foul play by another individual." Further information about the state of the musician's body when found and who made the call have yet been released. Autopsy is likely to be conducted on Wednesday, March 9.
TMZ reported that the rocker, who appeared on the third season of VH1's "Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew" in 2009, was arrested in February for felony possession of a controlled substance. According to Salt Lake City police, he had six Xanax pills and six tablets of the painkiller Opana when he was busted.
Mike's death came nine years after Alice's former singer Layne Staley died of an overdose. Layne passed away in spring 2002 after overdosing on a mixture of heroin and cocaine, commonly known as a "speedball." Mike has said on "Celebrity Rehab" that he did not want to end up like his former band mate. Of his death, his father told TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."
Since the sad news broke out, many of Mike's friends and fans have made use of Twitter to express their grief. Dr. Drew tweeted on Tuesday, "Devastating to hear of Mike Starr succumbing to his illness. So very sad. Our prayers are with his family." Former Guns N' Roses drummer Steven Adler also wrote, "R.I.P. Mike Starr!! Such a sad day! :( :("
Mike's fellow co-star on "Celebrity Rehab", Mackenzie Phillips, also tweeted her condolences, "Mike Starr was a great and troubled guy. I loved him. He would be so happy to know he's a #TT right now. Rest in Peace, brother. #dopekills" Additionally, Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx, who has made public his own struggles with heroin, noted, "RIP Mike Starr. Another fallen Soldier to addiction... :("
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off