Phil Collins Quits Music, Apologizing to Haters for His Success
Phil Collins has decided to retire from music industry. The 60-year-old musician has hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands which makes it hard for him to hold drumsticks. Beside those health problems, Phil called it quits also due to the criticisms he's received over the years.
The artist has got seven Grammy awards during his career, scored multiple hit singles, received an Oscar for a "Tarzan" soundtrack, and sold more than 150 million copies of albums as a solo artist. But critics still targeted him as a not-good-enough musician. Noel Gallagher once dissed him, "You don't have to be great to be successful. Look at Phil Collins."
Responding to their harsh words, Phil recently said to FHM, "I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that. It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me." He continued, "I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely."
In further statement, he said he was invited to "Late Show with David Letterman" and rejected it. He stated, "It feels like a good time to stop for a while. David Letterman wanted me to go on his show on a Monday night recently but I said, 'No. Can't do it. I have the kids on a Monday.' And my label said, 'But this is Letterman!' And I was like, 'Guess what? I. Don't. Give. A. F**k!' "
Looking back to his hey day, he said, "I barely recognized the person I saw from that time. I'm a very different person now. I saw some of this show of mine from 1985 and I was on-stage and I never stopped running, never stopped talking."
Phil Collins actually has hinted his exit from music scene since 2009. He has now moved to Switzerland to do just that, and lived in a remote town with his two sons. "I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?" he gushed on the latest issue of the magazine which has been on newsstand.
- 'Bachelorette' Premiere Recap: JoJo Meets Her Suitors. Who Makes the Most Memorable Entrance?
- Ariana Grande Makes Out a Lot in 'Into You' Music Video
- New CG-Animated 'Garfield' in the Works as Franchise
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Flesh-Baring Outfit at Vogue 100 Festival in London
- Lil Wayne Blasts Cash Money Again Months After Reuniting With Birdman
- 'The Voice' Final Performances: Listen to the Top 4's Original Songs
- Justin Bieber Sings Taylor Swift's Song and Talks About Her First Love. Is He Mocking Her?
- Beyonce and Jay-Z's Long-Rumored Joint Album May Arrive Anytime Now