Natalie Portman Dissed for Out-of-Wedlock Pregnancy
Despite Natalie Portman's rising profile during the last year, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee is apparently not in favor of the Oscar winner's personal life. He took a jab at the expecting mother for glamorizing out-of-wedlock pregnancy when talking on "The Michael Medved Show" this Monday, February 28.
Huckabee claimed Portman and other pregnant, unwed celebrities and single mothers are sending "problematic message" to the public. "One of the things that's troubling is that people see a Natalie Portman or some other Hollywood starlet who boasts of, 'Hey look, you know, we're having children, we're not married, but we're having these children,' and they're doing just fine," the Fox News Channel personality said.
The former presidential candidate further stated that other unmarried and single mothers are mostly not as lucky as these celebrities, elaborating "And I think it gives a distorted image that yes, not everybody hires nannies, and caretakers, and nurses. Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care. And that's the story that we're not seeing, and it's unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of [out-of-wedlock children]."
Huckabee previously mentioned Jamie Lynn Spears, who was pregnant at 16 years old, to urge people to think wisely about early pregnancy. "I hope it is not an encouragement to other 16-year-olds who think that is the best course of action. But at the same time I'm not going to condemn her," he said. "I just hope that she will make another right decision, and that's to give that child all the love and kindness and care that she can."
Natalie Portman herself recently criticized John Galliano for his racist comment in which he was videotaped declaring, "I love Hitler." "I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano's comments that surfaced today. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way. I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful," Benjamin Millepied's fiancee stated.
More Natalie Portman News
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'