'Blade Runner' Prequel and Sequel to Come to Big Screen
Alcon Entertainment is eying "Blade Runner" franchise more than thirty years after the film, directed by Ridley Scott, was released. The production company has announced that they are in final negotiations to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the 1982 sci-fi movie.
Alcon is getting the rights from Bud Yorkin who produced the original movie. Yorkin will produce the new untitled Blade Runner project along with Alcon co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers, Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson, as well as Cynthia Sikes. Their franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original.
"We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin," Kosove and Johnson say in a press release. "This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only."
The original "Blade Runner" starred Harrison Ford as Rick Dekard, a retired member of a police officer corps called blade runners who hunt down replicants on Earth. Dekard is called back to duty one more time to track six clones who escape a colony and come to Los Angeles.
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction
- Is Amber Rose Into a Woman Now? Model Sparks Rumors She's Hooking Up With Teyana Taylor
- Iggy Azalea's Brand New Single 'Mo Bounce' Released in Full
- Possible Leaked Concept Art of 'Deadpool 2' Features Brad Pitt as Cable
- Migos Channels Inner Rock Stars in 'What the Price' Music Video
- Adele Pays Emotional Tribute to London Terror Victims During Her Concert in New Zealand
- 'The Bachelorette' Six New Suitors Strip Down During Group Date on 'Ellen Show'