Jennifer Lawrence, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin Up for 'The Hunger Games'
Three Oscar-nominated stars, Jennifer Lawrence, Hailee Steinfeld and Abigail Breslin, are reportedly circling Lionsgate's "The Hunger Games". Variety reports the three actresses are being considered for "the hottest female role available at the moment" which is the lead role Katniss in the post-apocalyptic thriller to be directed by Gary Ross.
"Winter's Bone" star Lawrence is reported to have read for the part and generated the most interest. A source described to Lainey Gossip (via SlashFilm), "Jennifer really went for it and she blew them away." It is additionally said that "a deal is being hammered out right now," but Variety learns that no offer has been made.
Meanwhile, Steinfeld who made an impressive performance in "True Grit" has confirmed that she is in talks for the part. "I met with Gary Ross and it's definitely something we're taking one day at a time and making sure everything is in place, everything's ready," she said at the red carpet of 2011 Oscars last Sunday.
As for Breslin who is best known for her role in "Little Miss Sunshine", there is no further detail about her chance to nab the role but she or Steinfeld (both are 14 years old) would make a younger Katniss, who is described as a woman between 15 and 20, than Lawrence who is 20 years old.
Ross has previously stated that actress cast has to bring a "deep and fierce" truth to the role. He added that what makes the character attractive is her strength, assuredness, defiance "and ultimately her compassion."
A movie adaptation of the first in a trilogy of science fiction novels by Suzanne Collins, "The Hunger Games" is set in a dystopian future where the United States has been broken into 12 districts all controlled by a central government. Katniss volunteers to join a fight-to-the-death annual event called the Hunger Games, where the winner brings glory and food to their district, when her little sister is chosen.
Lionsgate has set March 23, 2012 as the release date for the movie and but is still working out the film's budget.
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars