2011 Oscar: Natalie Portman and Colin Firth Are Best Actress and Actor
Natalie Portman is officially the best actress in 2010. After hauled in various award events throughout the year for her role in "Black Swan", the Academy Awards recognizes her great acting with Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role trophy.
The currently pregnant star thanks "everyone who's ever hired me" for her win, and calls director Darren Aronofsky "a fearless leader." She wins the kudo after being nominated in the category along with Annette Bening ("The Kids Are All Right"), Jennifer Lawrence ("Winter's Bone"), Nicole Kidman ("Rabbit Hole") and Michelle Williams ("Blue Valentine")
Aronofsky, unfortunately, loses best director title to "The King's Speech" helmer Tom Hooper. The England-born filmmaker additionally edges out David O. Russell ("The Fighter"), David Fincher ("The Social Network") as well as Joel and Ethan Coen ("True Grit") for the prize.
"Thank you to all the members of the Academy. This is an extraordinary honor," Hooper states on his acceptance speech. "The morale of the story is listen to your mother." He also gives credits to the movie's actors Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.
Later, Firth also takes the stage to deliver his own speech as he is chosen as best lead actor for his portrayal of King George VI in the British royal drama. "I have a feeling my career's just peaked," he says after receiving the award from last year's best actress winner, Sandra Bullock.
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent