2011 Oscar: Natalie Portman and Colin Firth Are Best Actress and Actor
Natalie Portman is officially the best actress in 2010. After hauled in various award events throughout the year for her role in "Black Swan", the Academy Awards recognizes her great acting with Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role trophy.
The currently pregnant star thanks "everyone who's ever hired me" for her win, and calls director Darren Aronofsky "a fearless leader." She wins the kudo after being nominated in the category along with Annette Bening ("The Kids Are All Right"), Jennifer Lawrence ("Winter's Bone"), Nicole Kidman ("Rabbit Hole") and Michelle Williams ("Blue Valentine")
Aronofsky, unfortunately, loses best director title to "The King's Speech" helmer Tom Hooper. The England-born filmmaker additionally edges out David O. Russell ("The Fighter"), David Fincher ("The Social Network") as well as Joel and Ethan Coen ("True Grit") for the prize.
"Thank you to all the members of the Academy. This is an extraordinary honor," Hooper states on his acceptance speech. "The morale of the story is listen to your mother." He also gives credits to the movie's actors Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.
Later, Firth also takes the stage to deliver his own speech as he is chosen as best lead actor for his portrayal of King George VI in the British royal drama. "I have a feeling my career's just peaked," he says after receiving the award from last year's best actress winner, Sandra Bullock.
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!