'X-Men: First Class' Is Love Story Between Two Men, James McAvoy Says
James McAvoy has shared his interesting thought on Charles Xavier and Erik Lensher's relationship in "X-Men: First Class". He says, "It's kind of a love story, like 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid', which, really, was a love story between two men," when asked about the physics of their characters' friendship.
"This is the first time in their lives they've met someone who is an equal of sorts, someone who understands them and can connect and push them too," the depicter of Charles explains further to Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex. "Especially Charles, he's fascinated with Erik and his potential. For Erik, Charles is the first person he's trusted to really tell about his past and the first person to understand the horrible things he's been through."
On his character, McAvoy says, "Charles is caught up in himself. He enjoys success and is proud, and he's not the selfless person that he becomes."
He continues explaining about Charles by detailing his relationship with Jennifer Lawrence's Raven. "You look at the relationship with Raven - who becomes Mystique - and you examine that relationship and the way he treats her like a living experiment. She's an assistant to him and he cares for her, but there's his ego and condescending big-brother attitude as well. You see it in the way he treats the others. In the 'later' movies, he's exorcised that from his personality. For me, trying to keep that ego as an underpinning of the character is important."
Starring opposite James McAvoy in "X-Men: First Class" as Erik Lensher is Michael Fassbender. The other mutant characters are portrayed by Rose Byrne, Nicholas Hoult and January Jones among others.
The movie will chart the epic beginning of the "X-Men" saga and follow Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr when they were still close friends who worked together with other mutants to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. It also highlights the events that lead them to become archenemies.
Directed by Matthew Vaughn, this action sci-fi film will open wide in U.S. cinemas on June 3.
- Chris Brown Is Arrested for Assault With a Deadly Weapon
- New Boyfriend? Lindsay Lohan Spotted Together With Dennis Papageorgiou in Greece
- Calvin Harris Strips Down to His Undies in New Instagram Photo
- Gisele Bundchen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid Among Highest-Paid Models 2016
- Selena Gomez Takes a Break, Cancels Tour Amid Battle With Depression due to Lupus
- 'Arrow' Season 5 Shows First Look at Villainous Prometheus
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues