Shockwaves NME Awards Winners: Bieber Has Worst Album, GaGa Is Hero of the Year
Justin Bieber dominates winner list of this year's Shockwaves NME Awards by grabbing one prize in each of the "worst" and "least" departments. The Canadian singer who has a new haircut to get a more mature look is named the Least Stylish, saving Cheryl Cole, Ke$ha, Lady GaGa and Liam Gallagher from bringing home the title.
Bieber gets his other "honor" by winning Worst Album. The second CD of his two-part debut album "My World 2.0" pushes aside Cheryl Cole's "Messy Little Raindrops", Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream", Kings of Leon"s "Come Around Sundown" and My Chemical Romance's "Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys".
The "Baby" hitmaker actually got three nominations, and the one that he lost is Villain of the Year. Thanks to David Cameron, Bieber along with Axl Rose, Nick Clegg and Simon Cowell don't become the winner of this year's meanest character.
Opposite the antagonist, there is always the protagonist, and Lady GaGa is the lucky one to be crowned the Hero this year. The Interscope artist who is well known as a LGBT supporter and a campaigner against HIV/AIDS wins over Gerard Way, Julian Assange and Kanye West.
Beside Bieber, another winner who brings home more than one title is My Chemical Romance. The band are voted Best International Band, beating Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, The Drums and Vampire Weekend. Their "Na Na Na" clip is also named Best Video. "We want to thank every fan that voted for us," Gerard said. "Don't ever let the media tell you what your body is supposed to look like, you're beautiful just the way you are. Keep it ugly."
Jonas Brothers who were voted Worst Band in 2009 once again receive the "prize" this year, saving 30 Seconds to Mars, JLS, Kings of Leon and Tokio Hotel. The three brothers were previously handed Worst Album in 2009 and 2010.
In addition to recognizing the best and the worst in music, this awards show also honors TV and movie works. "Skins" wins Best TV Show, beating "Misfits", "Never Mind the Buzzcocks", "Peep Show", "Skins" and "The Inbetweeners". In big screen project, "Inception" tops over "Get Him to the Greek", "Kick-Ass", "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" and "The Social Network" as Best Film.
The trophies are handed at the ceremony at the O2 Academy Brixton on February 23. Among the special honorees are Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl (Godllike Genius), and PJ Harvey (Teenage Cancer Trust Outstanding Contribution to Music).
- Best British Band: Muse
- Best International Band: My Chemical Romance
- Best Solo Artist: Laura Marling
- Best New Band: Hurts
- Best Live Band: Biffy Clyro
- Best Album: Arcade Fire - "The Suburbs"
- Best Track: Foals - "Spanish Sahara"
- Best Video: My Chemical Romance - "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)"
- Best Festival: Glastonbury
- Best Dancefloor Filler: Professor Green - "Jungle"
- Best TV Show: "Skins"
- Best Film: "Inception"
- Hero of the Year: Lady GaGa
- Villain of the Year: David Cameron
- Most Stylish: Brandon Flowers
- Least Stylish: Justin Bieber
- Worst Album: Justin Bieber - "My World"
- Worst Band: Jonas Brothers
- Best Band Blog or Twitter: Hayley Williams
- Best Book: John Lydon - "Mr Rotten's Scrapbook"
- Best Small Festival (50,000 capacity or lower): RockNess
- Best Album Artwork: Klaxons - "Surfing The Void"
- Hottest Woman: Alison Mosshart
- Hottest Man: Matthew Bellamy
- Godlike Genius: Dave Grohl
- Philip Hall Radar Award: The Naked and Famous
- Teenage Cancer Trust Outstanding Contribution to Music: PJ Harvey
- John Peel Award for Innovation: Crystal Castles
More Justin Bieber News
- Is Drake Expecting a Son?
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations