Lady GaGa Breaks iTunes Record With 'Born This Way' 1 Million Download
Criticism and controversy behind her new single "Born This Way" couldn't stop Lady GaGa from making a history. The "Poker Face" singer has just scored the fastest selling single in iTunes after her gay rights anthem sells more than one million copies worldwide.
iTunes reportedly didn't usually release the sales figures of any artists' singles, but the tradition was broken when it issued a statement regarding "Born This Way". The single which has ruled the digital chart in at least 23 countries hits the 1-million mark in just five days.
In the U.S. alone, "Born This Way" pulled in 448,000 downloads, according to Nielsen SoundScan just earlier this week. The number sent it to sit at the first spot of Billboard Hot 100 and become the chart's 1,000th No. 1 in its 53-year-history. The first-week sale figure is also enough to break Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me" record (411,000).
"It is a tremendous honor," she told Billboard magazine in its latest issue. "To be the 1000th no. 1 on Billboard ... I would be silly not to say this is the greatest honor of my career. ... I am so humbled and so honored and overwhelmed by the reception to 'Born This Way'."
"Born This Way" is going to be followed by the premiere of its music video which is going to be a collaboration between her own Haus of GaGa and fashion photographer Nick Knight. A series of promotional efforts are also being prepared in anticipation of GaGa's new album of the same name "Born This Way" which is coming out across the country on May 23.
More Lady GaGa News
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Wants to Adopt Baby With British Boyfriend
- Back at It! Natalie Portman Returns to Work After Giving Birth to Daughter Amalia
- Cara Delevingne Sports Bald Head on 'Life in a Year' Filming Set
- Elton John Cancels Entire Las Vegas Shows Due to 'Unusual Bacterial Infection'
- Finding 'Comfort,' Brad Pitt Plans to Buy New Place in L.A. Arts District After Angelina Jolie Split
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Jesse Williams and Wife Split After Nearly 5 Years of Marriage
- Hollywood Writers Authorize a Strike. Will It Repeat the 2007 WGA Strike?
- Ben Affleck Steps Out for First Time Since Filing for Divorce From Jennifer Garner