Accused as Madonna Rip-Off, GaGa's 'Born This Way' Gets Mixed Reviews
Lady GaGa's newly-released single "Born This Way" receives mixed reviews from critics and fans. Many people compare the heavily-promoted song to Madonna's classic songs like "Express Yourself", but some others praised it as a "brilliant work".
DJ Riddler Houston's Hot 95.7 and Sirius/XM's BPM said to MTV, "The melody had similarities to Madonna's 'Vogue.' Then as I continued listening, the chorus sounded like 'Express Yourself.' Finally, the end with the choir chant reminded me of 'Like a Prayer'."
Chris Daughtry tweeted, "Just listened to a clip of Lady Gaga 'Born This Way' and I gotta say ... sounds a lot like 'Express Yourself' from Madonna. Thoughts? OK. Good. A lotta peeps are saying the same thing so maybe I won't get raked over the coals :)"
The DAUGHTRY frontman who is also a "American Idol" graduate then played down his remark, posting another message "I thought I was crazy for a second. And by the way ... I'm not dogging it. Haven't even heard it all ... that was just my first impresh (sic)."
More favorable of GaGa, best friend Perez Hilton who doesn't deny the comparison, thinks "Born This Way" is better than Madonna's. He posted on Twitter, "Express Yourself 2.0 is what people are saying? I'll happily take that!!" The blogger also praisingly said the track will "change culture" and "save lives".
Comedian Gabe Liebman has the same opinion as well. He said it "sounds exactly like a Madonna song," yet he found it to be "more fun, less annoying". And he's adamant the "younger and a lot more in touch" of the song will be well received by today's listeners.
Hayley Williams is another fellow singer who loves the so-called new gay anthem. "YES EGYPT!!! So inspired by your perseverance and your bravery. and speaking of liberation, I just heard 'Born This Way' and loved it. DON'T BE A DRAG JUST BE A QUEEN," the Paramore star wrote.
Regardless those criticisms, the single has reportedly soared to No. 1 on iTunes charts in 23 countries, breaking the record held by Britney Spears. Previously, Britney ruled the digital songs charts in at least 16 countries around the world with her "Hold It Against Me". To top it all, "Born This Way" reached the top position in less than 3 hours after being released in the U.S.
More Lady GaGa News
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group