Nicki Minaj Scores First No. 1 Album as 'Pink Friday' Rules Hot 200
Nicki Minaj's patience has finally paid off. Her debut album "Pink Friday" rises from No. 3 to No. 1 after 11 weeks on the market with additional 45,000 copies. Although the sale number could be considered low, it once again manages to halt the string of Hot 200's record-breaking slow weeks which hit the lowest last week when Amos Lee's "Mission Bell" ruled with just 40,000.
Claiming the top spot of the chart after 11 weeks is considered rare by Billboard - the last album to take longer to rise to No. 1 was way back in March 2005. At that time, Ray Charles' "Genius Loves Company" took the reign in its 25th week. It jumped from No. 15 with 224,000 copies following its Grammy win as Album of the Year.
"We finally did it! PINK FRIDAY is the #1 Album in the United States of America!!!!! *faints* thank u sooooo much for the continued support," Minaj tweeted. Spending the entire time at the Top 10 after entering the U.S. albums chart at the runner-up place last year, "Pink Friday" also hits 1 million total sales mark this week.
Trailing behind her on the chart are two new entries; Red's "Until We Have Faces" and Ricky Martin's "Musica + Alma + Sexo". The former sits at the second place with 43,000 units, and the latter follows with 32,000 copies. Bruno Mars's "Doo - Wops & Hooligans" and Taylor Swift's "Speak Now" stay at the Top 10 at No. 4 and 8 respectively. "Kidz Bop 19" compilation hangs on with them, by rising to No. 6.
Meanwhile, coming back after getting kicked out of the list is Rihanna's "Loud" which, amidst controversy of her single "S&M", returns at No. 5. Jason Aldean's "My Kinda Party" also re-appears on the list at No. 7, Pink's "Greatest Hits... So Far!!!" makes a comeback at No. 9, and Eminem's "Recovery" climbs back to No. 10.
- "Pink Friday" - Nicki Minaj (45,000)
- "Until We Have Faces" - Red (43,000)
- "Musica + Alma + Sexo" - Ricky Martin (32,000)
- "Doo - Wops & Hooligans" - Bruno Mars (32,000)
- "Loud" - Rihanna (29,000)
- "Kidz Bop 19" compilation - various artists (28,000)
- "My Kinda Party" - Jason Aldean (27,000)
- "Speak Now" - Taylor Swift (27,000)
- "Greatest Hits... So Far!!!" - Pink (25,000)
- "Recovery" - Eminem (25,000)
More Nicki Minaj News
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce From Lamar Odom Again
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them