Halle Berry on Daughter's Race: Nahla Is Black
Halle Berry, who is in custody battle over her daughter with ex Gabriel Aubry, has defended her rights on Nahla by talking about racial relationship. While the 2-year-old little girl counts both Berry of African-American descent and French-Canadian model Gabriel as parents, the Oscar winner apparently refuses to refer her daughter as mixed race.
"What I think is that that's something she's going to have to decide," she tells Ebony magazine. "I'm not going to put a label on it. I had to decide for myself, and that's what she's going to have to decide - how she identifies herself in the world. And I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her. That's how I identified myself."
Speaking of her preference on her daughter's race, she says, "But I feel like she's Black. I'm Black and I'm her mother, and I believe in the one-drop theory." This might upset her ex Gabriel who reportedly "went nuts" when people call Nahla "black", insisting she is "white". According to TMZ, Gabriel would demand a "retraction" when such references were made regarding his daughter.
Gabriel himself was recently hit with accusation that he is "borderline racist". His ex, whose identity was not revealed, said he was "very disrespectful to women". Supporting the story, a former business partner of Gabriel, Stephanie Bibeau, told People, "Once they broke up he became verbally threatening to Halle. He's a vindictive guy."
More Halle Berry News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked