Halle Berry on Daughter's Race: Nahla Is Black
Halle Berry, who is in custody battle over her daughter with ex Gabriel Aubry, has defended her rights on Nahla by talking about racial relationship. While the 2-year-old little girl counts both Berry of African-American descent and French-Canadian model Gabriel as parents, the Oscar winner apparently refuses to refer her daughter as mixed race.
"What I think is that that's something she's going to have to decide," she tells Ebony magazine. "I'm not going to put a label on it. I had to decide for myself, and that's what she's going to have to decide - how she identifies herself in the world. And I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her. That's how I identified myself."
Speaking of her preference on her daughter's race, she says, "But I feel like she's Black. I'm Black and I'm her mother, and I believe in the one-drop theory." This might upset her ex Gabriel who reportedly "went nuts" when people call Nahla "black", insisting she is "white". According to TMZ, Gabriel would demand a "retraction" when such references were made regarding his daughter.
Gabriel himself was recently hit with accusation that he is "borderline racist". His ex, whose identity was not revealed, said he was "very disrespectful to women". Supporting the story, a former business partner of Gabriel, Stephanie Bibeau, told People, "Once they broke up he became verbally threatening to Halle. He's a vindictive guy."
More Halle Berry News
- 'Power Rangers' First Full Trailer Offers First Official Look at Zordon and Megazord
- Amazon Is Adapting Neil Gaiman's 'Good Omens' Into a Limited Series
- Caitlyn Jenner's Rep Clears Up Rumors of Inaugural Dance With Donald Trump
- Nancy Sinatra Slams Donald Trump for Using Her Father's Song at His Inauguration Ball
- Ariana Grande Shares Sweet Birthday Message for 'Soulmate' Mac Miller
- Bella Thorne Gets Flirty With Zedd on Twitter and His Fans Absolutely Hate It
- Fetty Wap and Monty Flaunt Million-Dollar Bling in New Video for 'S**t I Like'
- Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Reportedly Fighting Over Whether to Have Baby No. 3