First Look at Meryl Streep as 'The Iron Lady'
Pathe UK has dropped the first picture of Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady", giving a close-up look at the American actress as Margaret Thatcher. "I am trying to approach the role with as much zeal, fervour and attention to detail as the real Lady Thatcher possesses - I can only hope my stamina will begin to approach her own," the 61-year-old Hollywood veteran shares about playing Britain's first female Prime Minister.
Streep has filmed the biopic for two weeks in London. The project reunites her with helmer Phyillida Lloyd who previously directed her in "Mamma Mia!". Jim Broadbent is cast alongside Streep to portray Thatcher's husband Dennis.
Made to tell a story about the controversial and long-governing former British Prime Minister, "The Iron Lady" is set in 1982 and tracks Margaret Thatcher as she tries to save her career in the 17 days preceding the 1982 Falklands War. The 2 1/2-month war was a turning point for the prime minister, who, after the victory, saw her approval ratings double and went on to win a second term.
Fox will release the film in Britain while Pathe will handle international sales itself. North American rights are still unsold and no release date is set for the movie. Footage from the film can be expected to be unveiled at upcoming Cannes Film Festival which will take place in May.
- Jay-Z Turns 47! Beyonce, Tina Knowles and Kelly Rowland Celebrate Rapper's Birthday in L.A.
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Ties the Knot with Joana Pak
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Kicked Out of Childbirth Class - Here Is Why!
- 'Luke Cage' Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix
- 'Glee' Star Becca Tobin Marries Zach Martin - Check Out Her Wedding Pics!
- Donald Trump Calls 'SNL' Unwatchable, Alec Baldwin Reacts
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris Welcome Twin Babies
- 'Sense8' Announces Premiere Dates for Christmas Special and Season 2