Henry Cavill Is Officially the New Superman
The search for the depicter of Superman in the upcoming film from director Zack Snyder is over with Henry Cavill being cast. "The Tudors" actor has landed the title role in the project which has been called "The Man of Steel" for some time, Warner Bros. Pictures has confirmed via a statement.
"In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen," Snyder says in the press release. "I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield."
Deadline Hollywood which broke the news said Cavill was the frontrunner for the coveted part in the past weeks but Warner Bros film chief Jeff Robinov just made his decision in recent days. Sources told The Hollywood Reporter Cavill's closest competitor was "Watchmen" actor Matthew Goode.
Cavill had tried out to nab the role of Clark Kent when WB made 2006 "Superman Returns". The British actor was reportedly a leading contender on McG's shortlist before the director was replaced by Bryan Singer and the role went to Brandon Routh.
Henry Cavill's previous starring-films were "Stardust" and "Blood Creek" among others. He takes the lead role in upcoming "Immortals" by director Tarsem Singh which also stars Freida Pinto, Kellan Lutz and Mickey Rourke.
The upcoming Superman movie reportedly will be filmed in Vancouver, Canada starting June this year. The studio might eye December 2012 release for the superhero flick. Christopher Nolan is producing while David S. Goyer and Jonathan Nolan are writing the script.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences