Naomi Watts Hired as Leonardo DiCaprio's Assistant in 'J. Edgar'
Leonardo DiCaprio is going to get assistance from Naomi Watts in "J. Edgar". The 42-year-old beauty has been cast as Helen Gandy, a loyal secretary of J. Edgar Hoover who will be portrayed by the "Revolutionary Road" actor in the forthcoming film, so Deadline Hollywood reports.
Gandy, who worked for Hoover for 54 years, was the ultimate keeper of his secrets and a behind the scenes influence on the workings of the FBI. Hoover called her indispensible and when he died, Gandy spent weeks destroying his personal file, which contained the incriminating material that he used to manipulate and control the most powerful figures in D.C.
The role was originally expected to be taken by Charlize Theron, but she opts to sign on for "Snow White and the Huntsman". Beside Watts, several other actresses including Amy Adams were reportedly considered for the part because Warner Bros. thought Watts' schedule would not work out.
Previously, Ed Westwick has been cast in the movie to portray Agent Smith, a clean-cut operative hired by Hoover to write his biography. Armie Hammer is tapped to star as Hoover's assistant and secret lover Clyde Tolson, Judi Dench is cast as Hoover's mother, and Josh Lucas will tackle the role of famed pilot Charles Lindbergh.
"J. Edgar" has been developed as Clint Eastwood's next directing project. Dustin Lance Black writes the script, while Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Robert Lorenz and Eastwood team up to produce the film.
Naomi Watts' latest films include "Mother and Child", "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" and "Fair Game". She can next be seen in thriller "Dream House" which also features Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz.
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked