Artist of the Week: Tinie Tempah
Before claiming his fame, Tinie Tempah was an average, regular guy from South London who "wanted it all," and would do everything possible to make that dream happen. His strong determination, hard work, talent and daring musical choice made him create irresistible music which captivated music fans and critics alike in just a matter of months.
His debut single "Pass Out" entered U.K. Singles chart at No. 1 with more than 92,000 copies. It ruled the chart for two consecutive weeks and spent at least seven weeks at the top 10 list. As the song stood out among other summer tracks, he was booked for a number of major events ranging from Wireless and Big Chill to Glastonbury and Ibiza Rocks.
The singles that followed the chart-topping song were hits as well. "Frisky" peaked at No. 2 on the country's singles chart, and "Written in the Stars" which features Eric Turner marked his return to the top spot of the chart. With three well-received singles, he went on tour to support A-list stars like Rihanna and Jay-Z before headlining his own gig later on.
After almost a year in the works, his album "Disc-Overy" was finally dropped in October 2010. He tells all in this CD, highlighting the finer things in life that success can offer, detailing the lows of fame and fortune, and offering a candid insight into his childhood growing up in South London.
He said, "On every single song you'll get a line that reveals what life was, and is, like for me. I recorded a lot of it after Pass Out went to No.1, so that gave me a chance to reflect on life before and after achieving success. When I'm in the studio, it's just me in my tracksuit, a bottle of water and my thoughts. Going to No.1 gave me a chance to consider how far I've come, but also how far I intend to go."
He debuted at No. 1 on U.K. Albums chart with the record. He also earned multiple nominations at coveted prize-giving events, and won at least two of them; Best Video for "Frisky" clip and Best Newcomer at last year's MOBO Awards. Although he hasn't released his music in the U.S. just yet, he has already been on the U.S. radar, thanks to remix projects with P. Diddy and Snoop Dogg.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny