Panned by Critics, 'The Green Hornet' Still Tops Box Office
"The Green Hornet" has come out as a new champion during another low weekend. The movie grosses $33.7 million, and despite the not-spectacular number, it manages to nab the second-best opening ever for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
The superhero flick from Michel Gondry entertains audience with special effects. However, reviewers pan the project as lackluster although it has all-star cast that includes Cameron Diaz and Oscar winner Christoph Waltz.
Also debuting lame this week is "The Dilemma". The comedy rakes in $17.8 million during the weekend for a four-day total at $20.7 million, which is far lower than the usual opening for a Vince Vaughn or Kevin James comedy. Still, the number leads the Ron Howard-directed movie score the runner-up position at the chart.
Last week's winner "True Grit" now sits on the third place with $10.9 million, suffering a modest decline of 25.3%. "The King's Speech" makes a leap from number nine to four with $9.2 million cume, followed by "Black Swan" which has a steady weekend on the fifth place. The supernatural thriller starring Natalie Portman adds $8.4 million haul.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for January 14-16:
- "The Green Hornet" - $33.7 million
- "The Dilemma" - $17.8 million
- "True Grit" - $10.9 million
- "The King's Speech" - $9.2 million
- "Black Swan" - $8.4 million
- "Little Fockers" - $7.2 million
- "Tron Legacy" - $5.7 million
- "Yogi Bear" - $5.3 million
- "The Fighter" - $5.0 million
- "Season of the Witch" - $4.5 million
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked