Panned by Critics, 'The Green Hornet' Still Tops Box Office
"The Green Hornet" has come out as a new champion during another low weekend. The movie grosses $33.7 million, and despite the not-spectacular number, it manages to nab the second-best opening ever for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
The superhero flick from Michel Gondry entertains audience with special effects. However, reviewers pan the project as lackluster although it has all-star cast that includes Cameron Diaz and Oscar winner Christoph Waltz.
Also debuting lame this week is "The Dilemma". The comedy rakes in $17.8 million during the weekend for a four-day total at $20.7 million, which is far lower than the usual opening for a Vince Vaughn or Kevin James comedy. Still, the number leads the Ron Howard-directed movie score the runner-up position at the chart.
Last week's winner "True Grit" now sits on the third place with $10.9 million, suffering a modest decline of 25.3%. "The King's Speech" makes a leap from number nine to four with $9.2 million cume, followed by "Black Swan" which has a steady weekend on the fifth place. The supernatural thriller starring Natalie Portman adds $8.4 million haul.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for January 14-16:
- "The Green Hornet" - $33.7 million
- "The Dilemma" - $17.8 million
- "True Grit" - $10.9 million
- "The King's Speech" - $9.2 million
- "Black Swan" - $8.4 million
- "Little Fockers" - $7.2 million
- "Tron Legacy" - $5.7 million
- "Yogi Bear" - $5.3 million
- "The Fighter" - $5.0 million
- "Season of the Witch" - $4.5 million
- Spidey Faces Off Vulture in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' First Trailer
- AFI Lists 'Game of Thrones', 'The Americans' and 'Better Call Saul' as Best TV Shows of 2016
- Kanye West Debuts Blonde Hair While Making First Public Appearance Since Hospitalization
- 'Logan' Reveals First Look at Richard E. Grant's Zander Rice
- Candace Cameron Exits 'The View' Because of 'Fuller House'
- First Look at Dinozords Unveiled in 'Power Rangers' Poster
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'