68th Golden Globes: Ricky Gervais Opens With Charlie Sheen, Scientology, Cher Jokes
Ricky Gervais hosted his second Golden Globe Awards on Sunday, January 16 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. He made no grand entrance but managed to bring out laughter with his harsh jokes about Charlie Sheen, "Toy Story 3" and Cher among others.
His opening line was, "Welcome to the 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards, it's live from The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. It's gonna be a night of partying and heavy-drinking." He paused for a while before saying, "Or as Charlie Sheen calls it, 'breakfast'."
Gervais took notice that more and more 3 dimensional movies are nominated, including a bunch of toys. He cleared up a "ridiculous rumor" that the only reason that toys are nominated is because HFPA want to hang out with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. He stated, the 'real' reason, saying "They also accepted bribes."
And that led to his next joke about Cher. He claimed the association is receiving bribes for Cher's concert tickets. "How the hell is that a bribe? Really? 'Do you want to go see Cher?', 'No', 'Why not?', 'Cos it's not 1975'," Gervais deadpanned.
Gervais then took a jab at "some famous Scientologists", getting a boo from the audience as he said it. He first praised Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor for their performance in "I Love You Phillip Morris" which is not nominated. Then he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay, so the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists."
The rest of his jokes went to Hugh Hefner and his 24-year-old fiancee, "Lost" and Mel Gibson.
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked