Bellamy Brothers Talk Similarity Between Their Song and Britney's
Britney Spears's newly-released single "Hold It Against Me" is rumored to be a rip-off. Some of the lyrics in the chorus are similar to those of The Bellamy Brothers' 1979 classic song. While the duo sings "If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?", Britney delivers refrain "So if I said I want your body now, would you hold it against me?"
"This particular title is kinda hard to disguise, because the title is the song. It's not like saying, 'I love you, baby.' I think songwriters have become watered down. This makes me sound like an old man again, but I find that songwriters now are not as strong as they used to be in the '60 or '70s," David Bellamy told Entertainment Weekly.
"I naturally gravitate to that. I like singer-songwriters, strong hooks, old rock, and old country. I'm not really a big fan of the Euro dance mixes, but I think there's just more original stuff out there to do than just rehashing old titles," he continued sharing his insight.
Commenting on their situation now that the rip-off rumor makes its way out, he simply laughed it off, "It's not every day you get in the middle of a Britney Spears brawl." Although pissed off, they won't make any decision to take legal action until they "see what the intent was."
He added, "Britney, she could get away with singing those. We can't, because they would call us dirty old men at this point. I guess that's why she's doing it, 'cause she can get away with it ... Maybe she'll come over and we'll do a duet or something."
"Hold It Against Me" is the lead single from Britney's not-yet-titled album which is slated for March release. The song reportedly has shot straight to No. 1 on iTunes charts in sixteen countries and broke radio record by getting more airplays than any other tracks in the first day of release.
- Spidey Faces Off Vulture in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' First Trailer
- AFI Lists 'Game of Thrones', 'The Americans' and 'Better Call Saul' as Best TV Shows of 2016
- Kanye West Debuts Blonde Hair While Making First Public Appearance Since Hospitalization
- 'Logan' Reveals First Look at Richard E. Grant's Zander Rice
- Candace Cameron Exits 'The View' Because of 'Fuller House'
- First Look at Dinozords Unveiled in 'Power Rangers' Poster
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'