Barbra Streisand In Talks to Star in New Movie Adaptation of 'Gypsy' Musical
"Gypsy" is likely heading to big screen again. Another movie adaptation of the Broadway play is in the early stages of being set up at Warner Bros. which made the 1962 adaptation starring Rosalind Russell and Natalie Wood.
According to reports, Barbra Streisand is circling the upcoming film to take one of the key roles, Mama Rose. She was additionally reported to produce and direct the flick but Arthur Laurents, who wrote the book for "Gypsy" and directed its 2008 Broadway revival, says no director has been attached to the project. Asked if 68-year-old Streisand would be too old to play the young mother, he explains, "First of all, they can do magic in Hollywood. Second, does it really matter."
Laurents additionally reveals that he has suggested Tom Hanks to take the role of Herbie, Rose's love interest and the talent manager of her two daughters, Baby June and Louise aka Gypsy Rose Lee. The filmmaker gushes, "Barbra loved the idea."
"Gypsy" is loosely based on the 1957 memoir of burlesque dancer Gypsy Rose Lee. The story focuses on "Lee's relationship with her mother, Rose, who has since become the prototype of a 'stage mom' in pop culture."
Barbra Streisand had her last lead role in 1996 "The Mirror Has Two Faces". She, however, appeared as supporting actress in "Meet the Fockers" and its 2010 follow-up "Little Fockers".
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist