Barbra Streisand In Talks to Star in New Movie Adaptation of 'Gypsy' Musical
"Gypsy" is likely heading to big screen again. Another movie adaptation of the Broadway play is in the early stages of being set up at Warner Bros. which made the 1962 adaptation starring Rosalind Russell and Natalie Wood.
According to reports, Barbra Streisand is circling the upcoming film to take one of the key roles, Mama Rose. She was additionally reported to produce and direct the flick but Arthur Laurents, who wrote the book for "Gypsy" and directed its 2008 Broadway revival, says no director has been attached to the project. Asked if 68-year-old Streisand would be too old to play the young mother, he explains, "First of all, they can do magic in Hollywood. Second, does it really matter."
Laurents additionally reveals that he has suggested Tom Hanks to take the role of Herbie, Rose's love interest and the talent manager of her two daughters, Baby June and Louise aka Gypsy Rose Lee. The filmmaker gushes, "Barbra loved the idea."
"Gypsy" is loosely based on the 1957 memoir of burlesque dancer Gypsy Rose Lee. The story focuses on "Lee's relationship with her mother, Rose, who has since become the prototype of a 'stage mom' in pop culture."
Barbra Streisand had her last lead role in 1996 "The Mirror Has Two Faces". She, however, appeared as supporting actress in "Meet the Fockers" and its 2010 follow-up "Little Fockers".
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album
- Hayes Grier Shares Photo From Hospital, Assures Fans He's 'Good' After Dirt Bike Crash
- Constance Wu Slams 'Great Wall' for Whitewashing: Our Heroes Don't Look Like Matt Damon
- Zachary Quinto Addresses Engagement Speculations and Wedding Plans to Miles McMillan
- Justin Bieber Teases 'Cold Water' Video as the Major Lazer Collab Hits No. 1 on U.K. Chart
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC