Inspired by Jay-Z, Rihanna Eyes Headlining Slot at Glastonbury
Having traveled around the globe for a number of concerts and performed at various coveted events, Rihanna now sets her eyes on landing a slot at 2011 Glastonbury. She wants the experience of rocking the U.K.'s biggest music festival following Jay-Z's huge success in 2008.
Her mentor was met with pre-festival criticism from Oasis' Noel Gallagher when he was announced as one of the headliners at the gig. The rocker said back then, "I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? No chance. Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music and even when they throw the odd curve ball in on a Sunday night you go 'Kylie Minogue?' I don't know about it. But I'm not having hip hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong."
The rapper silenced Noel by opening his set with a tongue-in-cheek cover of Oasis' iconic song "Wonderwall". He also answered Noel in words, "We don't play guitars, Noel, but hip hop has put in its work like any other form of music. This headline show is just a natural progression. Rap music is still evolving. We have to respect each other's genre of music and move forward."
RiRi credited Jigga for bringing over the R&B and Hip-Hop sound to the traditionally guitar-driven festival. She shared to Q magazine, "I'd love to play Glastonbury. I have heard so many things about what happens there. I love rock music. I love Kings of Leon and The Prodigy."
"You could have nightmares about that guy with the clown face and the weird hair (Keith Flint). That's a look to scare little kids, right? But the music is awesome. I like the more traditional rock bands, too: Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. I think I could rock the stage at Glastonbury, no question."
Talking about how she is going to win over the revelers, the Bajan songstress confidently said, "I know since Jay-Z played they are open to a lot more R&B. And Umbrella would be the perfect song for that place too."
More Rihanna News
- Keira Knightley Defended by Directors and Fellow Stars After John Carney Trashed Her
- Jena Malone and Boyfriend Welcome Baby Boy - Meet Baby Ode!
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder for Shooting His Wife
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof