Kaleidoscope 2010: Important Events in Entertainment (Part 4/4)
The last three months of 2010 have one common trait which is getting stronger as the year inched closer to holiday season. Despite reasons to gather with family at Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year, a lot of celebrity couples chose to split. Meanwhile, the awards season were shaping up with the announcement of nominees and lots of artists were given "the most" and "-est" titles.
Through this Kaleidoscope, AceShowbiz presents the important events happening in the entertainment world in the last 12 months. Divided into quarters, the annual Kaleidoscope is published between December 28 and 31.
Having been praised for her performance in "Easy A", Emma Stone emerged as a strong contender for a female lead in untitled Spider-Man reboot among other rising stars such as Mia Wasikowska and Dianna Agron. Her red locks subsequently linked her to the role of Mary Jane. But when the studios published an official press release on October 5, it was surprisingly unveiled that she was tapped to portray another love interest of Peter Parker, a blonde girl called Gwen Stacy who once was played by Bryce Dallas Howard in Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3". An interesting fact which was revealed along with the announcement is that Stone actually has a natural blonde hair.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Oct 05: Emma Stone was cast as Peter Parker's love interest, Gwen Stacy, in untitled Spider-Man reboot.
- Oct 06: Lady GaGa joined Michelle Obama as Forbes' World's 100 Most Powerful Women.
- Oct 06: Mackenzie Foy was confirmed to play Renesmee in "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II".
- Oct 08: Ben Harper filed for divorce from actress Laura Dern.
- Oct 08: Tyra Banks sued for inviting teenage sex addict to talk show without parents' consent.
- Oct 11: David Arquette and Courteney Cox confirmed their separation after 11 years of marriage.
- Oct 12: Neil Patrick Harris and his partner David Burtka became fathers to twin babies, Gideon Scott and Harper Grace.
- Oct 12: Christina Aguilera confirmed her split from music executive husband Jordan Bratman.
- Oct 13: Rihanna premiered "Only Girl (In the World)" music video.
- Oct 14: Kanye West's short movie "Runaway" made its way out.
- Oct 18: Release date for "Iron Man 3" was announced and Disney will distribute it.
- Oct 18: Willow Smith debuted her first ever music video "Whip My Hair".
- Oct 20: Tinie Tempah and JLS led winners list of 2010 MOBO Awards with double victories.
- Oct 21: Martin Freeman was confirmed to portray Bilbo Baggins in "The Hobbit".
- Oct 22: "Paranormal Activity 2" set new R-rated midnight record.
- Oct 23: Russell Brand and Katy Perry wed in the fully-embracing-Indian-tradition nuptials held in Rajasthan, India.
- Oct 26: Billy Ray Cyrus filed for divorce from Miley's mom in Tennessee, citing irreconcilable differences.
- Oct 27: "Avatar 2" and "Avatar 3" were planned for 2014 and 2015 releases.
- Oct 27: Syfy canceled "Caprica" and goes on with a spin-off to "Battlestar Galactica".
- Oct 27: Marie Claire columnist bashed for criticizing overweight people on "Mike & Molly".
- Oct 28: "The Oprah Winfrey Show" reunited the "Sound of Music" family.
- Oct 30: Alexandria Mills crowned 2010 Miss World mid China-Norway controversy.
Justin Bieber became headlines when winning Artist of the Year at 2010 American Music Awards on November 21. The 16-year-old pint-sized singer beat the likes of Lady GaGa, Eminem, Katy Perry and Ke$ha, becoming the youngest artist to win the AMA top honor. Controversy sparked a day after the prize-giving event with report suggesting Artist of the Year kudo was supposed to be handed to GaGa, instead of Bieber. Despite the rumor, fellow celebrities like Sean Garrett and Muse had nothing but good words for the young star. They agreed that the Canadian singer is now the hottest guy in the game.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Nov 01: Lily Allen's publicist announced that Allen had lost her baby, approximately six months into pregnancy.
- Nov 01: Demi Lovato's representative said the singer is entering rehab for "emotional and physical issues".
- Nov 03: Synopsis for "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part I" and "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II" was unraveled.
- Nov 03: Taylor Swift's "Speak Now" made historical No. 1 debut with more than one million copies sold.
- Nov 03: Former U.S. President Bush reignites feud with Kanye West over racist comment on "Today".
- Nov 04: Lil Wayne released from New York's Rikers Island jail following his conviction on weapon possession.
- Nov 05: Jessica Alba and Kat Dennings' nude pictures hit the web.
- Nov 07: Lady GaGa won big at 2010 MTV European Music Awards, bagging three gongs.
- Nov 07: "Days of Our Lives" celebrated 45th anniversary.
- Nov 08: Oprah did a rare interview with Michael Jackson kids at their Encino compound.
- Nov 09: Disney put an end to "JONAS L.A." after two seasons.
- Nov 09: Rachel Weisz's rep confirmed that she has split from director Darren Aronofsky.
- Nov 10: Miranda Lambert dominated 2010 CMA Awards by winning four trophies.
- Nov 13: Title of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" sequel, "The Wolverine", was confirmed.
- Nov 14: A rep of Jessica Simpson announced that she is engaged to Eric Johnson.
- Nov 15: The Academy announced that Best Animated Film category at 2011 Oscars will only include three nominees.
- Nov 15: Christina Aguilera received her Hollywood Walk of Fame, the 2,432nd.
- Nov 15: After months of speculation, Julianne Hough confirmed she's dating Ryan Seacrest.
- Nov 15: Darren Criss was promoted as "Glee" regular.
- Nov 15: CBS cancel "Medium" after its 7th season.
- Nov 16: Prince William did a press confrence to announce his engagement to Kate Middleton.
- Nov 17: Eva Longoria filed for divorce from husband of three years, NBA basketball star Tony Parker.
- Nov 17: Paramount Pictures gave greenlight to "Paranormal Activity 3".
- Nov 19: Daniel Day-Lewis was officially cast as Abraham Lincoln in Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln".
- Nov 21: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" marked the franchise best bow on its first weekend.
- Nov 21: Justin Bieber won the most nods at 2010 American Music Awards, walking home as the youngest singer to ever win Album of the Year.
- Nov 23: Kelly Preston gave birth to a baby boy almost two years after her son Jett died of seizure.
- Nov 23: Jennifer Grey won the eleventh season of "Dancing with the Stars".
- Nov 28: "Naked Gun" actor Leslie Nielsen died after hospitalized for two weeks.
- Nov 29: James Franco and Anne Hathaway were announced as hosts for 2011 Oscars.
- Nov 29: 30 Seconds to Mars debuted controversial mini movie for single "Hurricane".
- Nov 29: Barbara Walters announced nine out of ten of its annual Most Fascinating People.
Very private couple Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson called it quits after two years of marriage. Just five months earlier, Johansson gushed on what marriage has done to her despite their young age. "There's a nice comfort in that," she said. "That part of your life is certain, in a way. You've got your home in that other person."
- Other notable events of the month:
- Dec 01: Alicia Keys, Lady GaGa, Kim Kardashian and more to quit Twitter for charity.
- Dec 01: Reese Witherspoon received the 2,425th star on Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Dec 02: Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Eminem top new Billboard Social 50 chart.
- Dec 03: Coming out of the closet, Amber Heard walked red carpet with her lesbian partner.
- Dec 06: Michael Jackson's first official posthumous music video for single "Hold My Hand".
- Dec 06: Carrie Underwood leads Winners List of American Country Awards with five prizes.
- Dec 07: Cate Blanchett was confirmed to reprise her role as Galadriel in "The Hobbit".
- Dec 07: 10-year-old Jackie Evancho debuted at No. 2 on Hot 200, becoming the youngest female solo artist to break the Top 10 list.
- Dec 08: "Blue Valentine" NC-17 rating was overturned to R rating.
- Dec 10: Miley Cyrus' bong-smoking tape surfaced and dad apologized.
- Dec 11: Joel Madden and Nicole Richie, parents to two, wed at Lionel Richie's mansion.
- Dec 12: Matt Cardle won the seventh series of "The X Factor".
- Dec 12: "The Amazing Race" crowned its first all-female team.
- Dec 13: "Dexter" co-stars Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter announced split via reps.
- Dec 13: Justin Bieber's "Baby" and Antoine Dodson's "Bed Intruder" were named most-watched videos of 2010.
- Dec 13: Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens ended relationship after three years.
- Dec 13: Gwyneth Paltrow received the last Hollywood Walk of Fame star in 2010.
- Dec 14: Married couple Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson revealed they were no longer together.
- Dec 14: David Hasselhoff was confirmed to be the new judge of "Britain's Got Talent".
- Dec 14: White supremacists declared plan to boycott "Thor" due to skin color issue.
- Dec 14: Jon Favreau confirmed he will not return to direct "Iron Man 3".
- Dec 15: Lady GaGa's Meat Dress Named No. 1 Fashion Statement of 2010 by Time.
- Dec 16: Larry King signed off from "Larry King Live" after 25 years.
- Dec 18: Paramore announced departure of their two founding members Josh and Zac Farro.
- Dec 19: "The Social Network" won big at the 15th Annual Satellite Awards.
- Dec 20: Dan Brown will rewrite "The Lost Symbol" script.
- Dec 20: Shania Twain is engaged to the man whose ex-wife stole her husband.
- Dec 21: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" epilogue scenes were reshot at Leavesden studio in London.
- Dec 25: Playboy mogul Hugh Hefner announced engagement to 24-year-old playmate at the age of 84.
- Dec 25: Eddie Cibrian proposed to LeAnn Rimes over Christmas with $85,000 engagement ring.
- Dec 27: Natalie Portman announced through rep that she is pregnant and engaged.
More events in: January-March | April-June | July-September
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism