'Little Fockers' Beats 'True Grit' at Christmas Box Office
"Little Fockers" has topped North American Box Office during Christmas weekend. Despite some people's hesitance about this follow-up to "Meet the Fockers", the PG-13 comedy still becomes number one choice for family entertainment on this holiday with $30.8 million opening cume.
"These characters are well-loved by audiences," Eddie Egan, president of marketing at Universal, explains on the movie's charm. "It's a very positive result and hopefully a blueprint for success over the next few weeks when the larger moviegoing pool is available."
But it is "True Grit" which deserves the praise. Made with only $38 million budget, Ethan and Joel Coen's remake of the 1969 Western movie debuts at number two with $24.8 million, which is beyond expectation.
"We've got an out-and-out success," says Don Harris, executive vice president of distribution for Paramount which distributes "True Grit". He goes on explaining their successful strategy, "From the beginning, the plan was to make a movie that could play in 3,000 theaters and play in Texas and play in Kansas City, and places the Coen Brothers don't normally open well or open at all."
Meanwhile, another newcomer "Gulliver's Travels" does not perform as well as "Little Fockers" and "True Brit". Supported by Jack Black and Emily Blunt on the main cast ensemble, the PG comedy adventure movie only lands on number eight on its opening weekend with $6.3 million.
Back at the top five, at number three there is "Tron Legacy" which won last week. The sci-fi adds $19.2 million to its domestic gross. "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" drops one place from third to fourth with $9.5 million, followed by "Yogi Bear" which jumps down from second to fifth with $7.8 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for December 24-26:
- "Little Fockers" - $30.8 million
- "True Grit" - $24.8 million
- "Tron Legacy" - $19.2 million
- "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" - $9.5 million
- "Yogi Bear" - $7.8 million
- "The Fighter" - $7.6 million
- *"Tangled" - $6.4 million
- "Gulliver's Travels" - $6.3 million
- "Black Swan" - $6.2 million
- "The Tourist" - $5.4 million
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'