Artist of the Week: Wiz Khalifa
Slowly but sure, Wiz Khalifa places himself among sought-after rappers in the music game. Gaining attention from Hip-Hop community since his first mixtape five years ago, he gradually built strong fans base. In just a year, he was declared Rolling Stone's "Artist to Watch", and then moved to win the title of MTV's Hottest Breakthrough MC of 2010.
Now in the middle of preparing his next studio installment, Khalifa scored big with his lead single "Black and Yellow". The Stargate-produced song climbed to No. 5 and 10 on Billboard Hot Rap and R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts respectively. Also, the Gold-certified track rose to No. 11 on Hot 100, marking his highest-charting single.
"It's going crazy right now, radio and the video's heating it up and I'm just real happy to have that crossover success - it's looking like we're having that crossover success that people were sketchy and didn't know if I was gonna be able to do that or not," he said. "So with the single doing what it's doing, it's really helping me out." Crediting fans for his success, he celebrated it with a homecoming concert in Pittsburgh on December 16.
Beside having a new album coming out, Khalifa is also preparing to rock out one of the major music events, 2011 Bamboozle Festival. He is lined up alongside Lil Wayne, Motley Crue, Bruno Mars, LMFAO, Dashboard Confessional, Waka Flocka Flame, New Found Glory and many more.
- Is Drake Expecting a Son?
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations