Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman and More Up for Ron Howard's 'Dark Tower'
Ron Howard is currently prepping for the release of "The Dilemma", but he has been willing to talk about his next project "The Dark Tower". Speaking to Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex, the helmer hinted on who could possibly portray a gunslinger called Roland.
According to the site, he "nodded when names such as Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman and Jon Hamm were mentioned" as the possible lead actor. "Sure, those are some names and on 'The Dark Tower' fansites they're all about Viggo [Mortensen]," Howard said.
Gushing about the upcoming big screen adaptation of Stephen King's novels, short stories and comic books, Howard told the site, "It's different than anything I've ever done and in really interesting ways." On his approach to the project, he shared, "We say, 'At their root they're simple stories, don't be afraid to keep it simple'."
"The Dark Tower" has not gotten a greenlight yet, but Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television have planned to make three films as well as a TV show based on King's works. Ron Howard will direct the first film and the first season of a tie-in television series, with Akiva Goldsman writing both.
The first movie is planned to come out in 2013, followed by the first season of the TV series, which will bridge the second film. After the second film, the TV series would pick up again and carry forward to the final film in the trilogy.
Stephen King's "Dark Tower" is a horror sci-fi story which follows a Gunslinger Roland Deshain as he travels across a desolate and vaguely post-apocalyptic landscape in his quest for a black tower. Portals along the way eventually allow contact with our own modern world.
More The Dark Tower News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics