Eminem Back to Film With 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator's Script
What will happen if "Sons of Anarchy" creator teams up with Eminem? The answer is imminent for such project is indeed being developed under the title "Southpaw". Kurt Sutter is in charge of the scriptwriting while Eminem who starred in "8 Mile" is booked to play a fast-rising welterweight boxer and to co-produce the movie under Shady Films.
Physically demanding, the movie is going to focus on Eminem's character's fight to reclaim a past glory before his world is crushed down due to tragedy. Although it's unlike "8 Mile" which mirrors the rapper's life, this movie's idea is born out of observation of his struggles.
"I took meetings with Marshall's [Eminem] producing partners over the past 7 years, looking for something to do together," Sutter told Deadline's Mike Fleming. "I know he's very selective and doesn't do a lot. But he shared so much of his personal struggle in this raw and very honest album, one that I connected with on a lot of levels."
"He is very interested in the boxing genre, and it seemed like an apt metaphor, because his own life has been a brawl. In a way, this is a continuation of the 8 Mile story, but rather than a literal biography, we are doing a metaphorical narrative of the second chapter of his life. He'll play a world champion boxer who really hits a hard bottom, and has to fight to win back his life for his young daughter. At its core, this is a retelling of his struggles over the last five years of his life, using the boxing analogy."
"I love that the title refers to Marshall being a lefty, which is to boxing what a white rapper is to hip hop; dangerous, unwanted and completely unorthodox. It's a much harder road for a southpaw than a right handed boxer."
The first draft of the script will be turned in in February before Sutter is due to concentrate on the fourth season of "Sons of Anarchy". DreamWorks co-chairman/CEO Stacey Snider was able to pitch the story to the studio for she was involved in "8 Mile" while a Universal Pictures chief. "There is a rich story here that references his own experience, and I was honored to be able to continue a relationship that began with 8 Mile," Snider said.
- Bye 'KUWTK'! Kim Kardashian Is Focusing on Her New Show 'Glam Masters'
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Are Getting Serious
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child