Oprah Winfrey Is the Most Generous Celeb, Donating $41 Million to Charity
Kind-hearted Oprah Winfrey tops the list of the most charitable celebrities. The media mogul is estimated to have donated more than $41 million through her initiative, Oprah Winfrey Foundation, which helps those in need for education access and programs for women and children.
This is not the first time Oprah leads the most generous celebrities list compiled by The Giving Back Fund. In fact, it's her third on the top spot. "There are many generous celebrities, but when you can top a list of celebrity philanthropists three out of four years, as Oprah has, that is saying something," Marc Pollick, president of The Giving Back Fund, said.
Coming at the second place is novelist Nora Roberts. She gave away around $4.45 million to her organization supporting literacy, children's programs and other humanitarian efforts. Meryl Streep and her hubby Donald J. Gummer follow at the third with a total of $4 million in donation to the Silver Mountain Foundation for the Arts.
"Combined these celebrities donated nearly $80 million of their personal wealth to charities. We hope that in recognizing the extraordinary generosity of these celebrities, we will encourage and promote greater and more authentic giving among those blessed with both wealth and fame," Marc added.
The national philanthropic group relies on media reports and tax forms to collect their data. The people from the organization also speak to publicists, agents and others close to the celebrity. But pledges or promises to donate or donations to public charities, which are not publicly disclosed, are not included.
- Oprah Winfrey - $41 million
- Nora Roberts - $4.45 million
- Meryl Streep and Donald J. Gummer - $4 million
- Jami Gertz and Tony Ressler - $2.9 million
- Lance Berkman and Cara Berkman - $2.1 million
- Charles Woodson - $2 million
- Madieu Williams - $2 million
- Alec Baldwin - $1.6 million
- Barbra Streisand - $1.4 million
- Oscar de la Hoya - $1.3 million
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?