Cate Blanchett Is Confirmed Joining 'The Hobbit' Cast
Cate Blanchett is heading to the Middle Earth once again. The 41-year-old actress is tapped to reprise her "Lord of the Rings" role as Galadriel aka Lady of Lothlorien in "The Hobbit", New Line/Warner Bros has officially announced on December 7.
The press release also confirmed that Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy and Mikael Persbrandt are cast in the film along with Ryan Gage, Jed Brophy and William Kircher. Stott ("Charlie Wilson's War") will play the Dwarf Lord Balin, McCoy ("Doctor Who") will play the wizard Radagast the Brown and Swedish actor Persbrandt ("Everlasting Moments'", "Day and Night") will play the shape-shifter Beorn. British actor Gage ("Outlaw", "Doctors") will play Drogo Baggins; and New Zealand actors Brophy ("Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "District 9") and Kircher ("Out of the Blue", "Legend of the Seeker") will play the dwarves Nori and Bifur respectively.
They all join Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, Robert Kazinsky and Graham McTavish whose casting were unveiled before. Freeman takes the lead role of Bilbo Baggins. Ian McKellen is also expected to reprise his "LOTR" role as Gandalf, but it has not been confirmed yet.
In the meantime, the production for "The Hobbit" is set to be kicked off in February 2011 in New Zealand with Peter Jackson on board to helm it. The movie is split into two parts which will be shot back to back.
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die