Cate Blanchett Is Confirmed Joining 'The Hobbit' Cast
Cate Blanchett is heading to the Middle Earth once again. The 41-year-old actress is tapped to reprise her "Lord of the Rings" role as Galadriel aka Lady of Lothlorien in "The Hobbit", New Line/Warner Bros has officially announced on December 7.
The press release also confirmed that Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy and Mikael Persbrandt are cast in the film along with Ryan Gage, Jed Brophy and William Kircher. Stott ("Charlie Wilson's War") will play the Dwarf Lord Balin, McCoy ("Doctor Who") will play the wizard Radagast the Brown and Swedish actor Persbrandt ("Everlasting Moments'", "Day and Night") will play the shape-shifter Beorn. British actor Gage ("Outlaw", "Doctors") will play Drogo Baggins; and New Zealand actors Brophy ("Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "District 9") and Kircher ("Out of the Blue", "Legend of the Seeker") will play the dwarves Nori and Bifur respectively.
They all join Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, Robert Kazinsky and Graham McTavish whose casting were unveiled before. Freeman takes the lead role of Bilbo Baggins. Ian McKellen is also expected to reprise his "LOTR" role as Gandalf, but it has not been confirmed yet.
In the meantime, the production for "The Hobbit" is set to be kicked off in February 2011 in New Zealand with Peter Jackson on board to helm it. The movie is split into two parts which will be shot back to back.
- DJ Khaled and Fiancee Nicole Tuck Welcome Baby Boy
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Solange Knowles Set to Make 'SNL' Debut
- Britney Spears Almost Flashes Her Breasts During On-Stage Wardrobe Malfunction
- 'Jessica Jones' Season 2 Will Be Directed Entirely by Women
- Taylor Swift Sings Calvin Harris' Song During Her Return to Stage at Formula 1 Concert
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'