George Clooney to Adapt 'Enron' Play Into Movie Without Original Cast
George Clooney has planned to turned West End's "Enron" stage into a movie, The Observer reports. The site additionally says the American actor/filmmaker will make the big screen adaptation without hiring the original director and cast members.
Rumor has it, the "The American" star is on board to produce and is likely to serve as director for the film, too. Lucy Prebble, who wrote the U.K. play, is reportedly booked to provide a script for the upcoming movie project.
Rupert Goold, who won Best Director award at the 2010 Olivier Awards for his work on "Enron", is reportedly frustrated not to be involved in the film. Philip Hedley, former director of the Theatre Royal Stratford East, says about the original team exclusion, "It's a great shame that the original talent hasn't been able to follow through, to put on to film what they've originally created," while another unnamed prominent theater director adds, "Everything works on celebrity and famous names."
Meanwhile, Laura Ziskin who obtains the film rights and will produce the movie along with Clooney claims, "Once you've done something... you've done it. Let that stand on its own." Stating that "this is an American story," she hints the movie will have a different "take" while being true to Prebble's vision.
"Enron" recounts the spectacular decline of the energy company, once the seventh largest U.S. corporation. The theater production has successfully toured the U.K. but failed to impress American audience.
More George Clooney News
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift