Christina Aguilera Talks 'Unhealthy' Marriage and New Romance
Christina Aguilera feels the time is right to open up about the reason she split up from husband Jordan Bratman and talk about her new romance at the same time. The singer said in a new interview with People magazine that an "unhealthy and unhappy" marriage led to the decision to get a divorce.
"Things were so unhealthy and unhappy for both Jordan and me, I knew I had to end it," Aguilera talked candidly. "I really didn't want to hurt Jordan, and I felt torn about splitting our family up." But the singer did not just give up after five years of marriage. One of the things that they did to save it was going on a family trip to Italy, but that "still didn't work out."
She felt it stronger after filming "Burlesque" in March. "When I finished filming, I didn't feel right in my own shoes [at home]," she said. "I had a lot of things stirring inside of me that I felt were being suppressed. We just weren't right for each other. I couldn't face living another five years [together]."
Taking the cue from her own experience as a child, Aguilera thought divorce is the best solution. "When you're unhappy in your marriage, your children are the ones who suffer. That's the last thing I wanted for my son," she said. Her parents split when she was only 7.
Aguilera has now moved on to another man, the guy who has been seen with her on several occasions lately. The Grammy-winning singer admitted that "Burlesque" set assistant Matthew Rutler is "a special person" to her. She said, "We had a really strong friendship on the movie. He's the kind of person you could spend hours on the phone talking to and all of a sudden it's daylight. Once I filed for divorce, we started dating."
When pressed further whether she's in love, Xtina confessed, "There's a love there, yes. I'm having fun, I'm dating and it's something I haven't had in a really long time."
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March